A Complete Visual Hull Representation Using Bounding Edges
In this article, a complete visual hull model is introduced. The proposed model is based on bounding edge representation which is one of the fastest visual hull models. However, the bounding edge model has fundamental drawbacks, which make it inapplicable in some environments. The proposed model produces a refined result which represents a complete triangular mesh surface of the visual hull. Further, comparison of the results by the state-of-the-art methods shows that the proposed model is faster than most of modern approaches, while the results are qualitatively as precise as theirs. Of interest is that proposed model can be computed in parallel distributively over the camera networks, while there is no bandwidth penalty for the network. Consequently, the execution time is decreased by the number of the camera nodes dramatically.
KeywordsVisual Hull 3D Reconstruction Shape From Silhouette (SFS) Bounding Edges
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baumgart, B.G.: A Polyhedron Representation for Computer Vision. In: AFIPS National Computer Conference (1975)Google Scholar
- 4.Laurentini, A.: The Visual Hull: A New Tool for Contour-based Image Understanding. In: 7th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis, pp. 993–1002 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Lazebnik, S., Boyer, E., Ponce, J.: On Computing Exact Visual Hulls of Solids Bounded by Smooth Surfaces. In: CVPR 2001 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Buehler, C., Matusik, W., McMillan, L.: Polyhedral Visual Hulls for Real-time Rendering. In: Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Franco, J.-S., Boyer, E.: Exact Polyhedral Visual Hulls. In: Fourteenth British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC), Norwich, UK, pp. 329–338 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Buehler, C., Matusik, W., McMillan, L., Gortler, S.: Creating and Rendering Image-based Visual Hulls. Technical Report. MIT-LCS-TR-780. MIT (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Matusik, W., Buehler, C., Raskar, R., Gortler, S.J., McMillan, L.: Image-based Visual Hulls. In: SIGGRAPH 2000 (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Cheung, G.: Visual Hull Construction, Alignment and Refinement for Human Kinematic Modeling, Motion Tracking and Rendering. Doctoral dissertation, Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-03-44, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Cheung, G., Baker, S., Kanade, T.: Visual Hull Alignment and Refinement Across Time: a 3D Reconstruction Algorithm Combining Shape-Frame-Silhouette with Stereo. In: CVPR 2003, Madison, MI (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.3D Photography Dataset. Beckman Institute and Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, http://www-cvr.ai.uiuc.edu/ponce_grp/data/mview/
- 16.Middlebury Multi-View Datasets. Middlebury College, Microsoft Research, and the National Science Foundation, http://vision.middlebury.edu/mview/
- 17.Intel’s OpenCV library written in C programming language, http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/