Embeddings of Four-valent Framed Graphs into 2-surfaces
- 1.8k Downloads
It is well known that the problem of detecting the least (highest) genus of a surface where a given graph can be embedded is closely connected to the problem of embedding special four-valent framed graphs, i.e. 4-valent graphs with opposite edge structure at vertices specified. This problem has been studied, and some cases (e.g., recognizing planarity) are known to have a polynomial solution.
The aim of the present survey is to connect the problem above to several problems which arise in knot theory and combinatorics: Vassiliev invariants and weight systems coming from Lie algebras, Boolean matrices etc., and to give both partial solutions to the problem above and new formulations of it in the language of knot theory.
KeywordsIntersection Graph Weight System Virtual Link Klein Bottle Reidemeister Move
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CL07]Chmutov, S.V., Lando, S.K.: Mutant knots and intersection graphs. 0704.1313 [math.GT] (2007)
- [CDM]Chmutov, S.V., Duzhin, S., Mostovoy, Y.: A draft version of the book about Vassiliev knot invariants. Google Scholar
- [DFK+06]Dasbach, O., Futer, D., Kalfagianni, E., Lin, X.-S., Stoltzfus, N.: The Jones polynomial and graphs on surfaces. math.GT/0605571v3 (2006)
- [FMR79]Filotti, I.S., Miller, G.L., Reif, J.H.: On determining the genus of a graph in O(vo(g)) steps. In: Proceedings of the 11th Annual Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 27–37. ACM, New York (1979) Google Scholar
- [Fom91]Fomenko, A.T.: The theory of multidimensional integrable hamiltonian systems (with arbitrary many degrees of freedom). Molecular table of all integrable systems with two degrees of freedom. Adv. Sov. Math., (6), 1–35, 1991 Google Scholar
- [KR]Khovanov, M., Rozansky, L.: Matrix factorizations and link homology II. math.GT/0505056
- [LZ03]Lando, S.K., Zvonkin, A.K.: Embedded Graphs. Springer, Berlin (2003) Google Scholar
- [LRS87]Lins, S., Richter, B., Schank, H.: The gauss code problem off the plane. Aequ. Math., 81–95 (1987) Google Scholar
- [Low07]Lowrance, A.: On knot Floer width and Turaev genus. 0709.0720v1 [math.GT]
- [Man02]Manturov, V.O.: Chord diagrams and invariant tensors. In: Proceedings of the 1 Colloquium on Lie Theory and Applications, pp. 117–125 (2002) Google Scholar
- [Man]Manturov, V.O.: Minimal diagrams of classical knots. math.GT/0501510
- [MU05a]Manturov, V.O., Uzlov, T.: Knot Theory. RCD, Izhevsk (2005). (In Russian) Google Scholar
- [Mel00]Mellor, B.: Three weight systems arising from intersection graphs. math.GT/0004080v1 (2000)
- [MM65]Milnor, J., Moore, J.: On the structure of Hopf algebras. Ann. Math., 211–264 (1965) Google Scholar
- [Vas90]Vassiliev, V.A.: Cohomology of knot spaces. In: Theory of Singularities and Its Applications. Advances in Soviet Mathematics, vol. 1, pp. 23–70. AMS, Providence (1990) Google Scholar