Factorization of Polynomials and GCD Computations for Finding Universal Denominators
We discuss the algorithms which, given a linear difference equation with rational function coefficients over a field k of characteristic 0, compute a polynomial U(x) ∈ k[x] (a universal denominator) such that the denominator of each of rational solutions (if exist) of the given equation divides U(x). We consider two types of such algorithms. One of them is based on constructing a set of irreducible polynomials that are candidates for divisors of denominators of rational solutions, and on finding a bound for the exponent of each of these candidates (the full factorization of polynomials is used). The second one is related to earlier algorithms for finding universal denominators, where the computation of gcd was used instead of the full factorization. The algorithms are applicable to scalar equations of arbitrary orders as well as to systems of first-order equations.
A complexity analysis and a time comparison of the algorithms implemented in Maple are presented.
KeywordsComputer Algebra Rational Solution Irreducible Polynomial Polynomial Solution Polynomial Versus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abramov, S.: On the summation of rational functions. USSR Comput. Math. Phys. 11, 324–330 (1971); Transl. from Zh. vychisl. mat. mat. fyz. 11, 1071–1075 (1971) Google Scholar
- 2.Abramov, S.: Problems of computer algebra involved in the search for polynomial solutions of linear differential and difference equations. Moscow Univ. Comput. Math. Cybernet. 3, 63–68 (1989); Transl. from Vestn. MGU. Ser. 15. Vychisl. mat. i kibernet. 3, 53–60 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Abramov, S.: Rational solutions of linear difference and differential equations with polynomial coefficients. USSR Comput. Math. Phys. 29, 7–12 (1989); Transl. from Zh. vychisl. mat. mat. fyz. 29, 1611–1620 (1989) Google Scholar
- 4.Abramov, S.: Rational solutions of linear difference and q-difference equations with polynomial coefficients. In: ISSAC 1998 Proceedings, pp. 303–308 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Abramov, S.: Rational solutions of linear difference and q-difference equations with polynomial coefficients. Programming and Comput. Software 21, 273–278 (1995); Transl. from Programmirovanie 6, 3–11 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Abramov, S., Barkatou, M.: Rational solutions of first order linear difference systems. In: ISSAC 1998 Proceedings, pp. 124–131 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Abramov, S., Bronstein, M., Petkovšek, M.: On polynomial solutions of linear operator equations. In: ISSAC 1995 Proceedings, pp. 290–295 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Abramov, S., van Hoeij, M.: A method for the integration of solutions of Ore equations. In: ISSAC 1997 Proceedings, pp. 172–175 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Abramov, S., Ryabenko, A.: Indicial rational functions of linear ordinary differential equations with polynomial coefficients. Fundamental and Applied Mathematics 14(4), 15–34 (2008); Transl. from Fundamentalnaya i Prikladnaya Matematika 14(4), 15–34 (2008) Google Scholar
- 11.Barkatou, M.: Rational solutions of matrix difference equations: problem of equivalence and factorization. In: ISSAC 1999 Proceedings, pp. 277–282 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Gheffar, A., Abramov, S.: Valuations of rational solutions of linear difference equations at irreducible polynomials. Adv. in Appl. Maths (submitted 2010)Google Scholar
- 15.van Hoeij, M.: Rational solutions of linear difference equations. In: ISSAC 1998 Proceedings, pp. 120–123 (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.van Hoeij, M., Levy, G.: Liouvillian solutions of irreducible second order linear difference equations. In: ISSAC 2010 Proc. (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Khmelnov, D.E.: Search for polynomial solutions of linear functional systems by means of induced recurrences. Programming and Comput. Software 30, 61–67 (2004); Transl. from Programmirovanie 2, 8–16 (2004) Google Scholar
- 20.Man, Y.K., Wright, F.J.: Fast polynomial dispersion computation and its application to indefinite summation. In: ISSAC 1994 Proceedings, pp. 175–180 (1994)Google Scholar
- 22.Maple online help, http://www.maplesoft.com/support/help/