Translation Unit for Simultaneous Japanese-English Spoken Dialogue Translation
It is strongly required to develop a simultaneous translation system that supports the smooth cross-lingual communications. We are putting forward a framework for simultaneous translation of incrementally executing detection, translation and generation processing for a translation unit which is smaller than a sentence. In this paper, we propose a translation unit which can be translated independently and immediately. Moreover, we define how to segment a source sentence into the translation units by using a parallel corpus. To confirm that such the translation unit is effective for simultaneous translation, we evaluated the translation unit from the viewpoints of the length and the automatic detectability.
KeywordsTranslation System Computational Linguistics Parallel Corpus Linguistic Unit Source Sentence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NTT DoCoMo Press Release Article, http://www.nttdocomo.com/pr/2007/001372.html
- 3.Le, Z.: Maximum entropy modeling toolkit for Python and C++ (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Maruyama, T., Kashioka, H., Kumano, T., Tanaka, H.: Development and evaluation of Japanese clause boundaries annotation of general text. Journal of Natural Language Processing 11(3), 39–68 (2004) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Matsumoto, Y., Kitauchi, A., Yamashita, T., Hirano, Y., Matsuda, H., Takaoka, K., Asahara, M.: ChaSen morphological analyzer version 2.4.0 user’s manual. Nara Institute of Science and Technology (2007), http://chasen-legacy.sourceforge.jp/
- 7.Mima, H., Iida, H., Furuse, O.: Simultaneous interpretation utilizing example-based incremental transfer. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computational Linguistics and the 36th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (COLING/ACL 1998), pp. 955–961 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Ryu, K., Matsubara, S., Inagaki, Y.: Simultaneous English-Japanese spoken language translation based on incremental dependency parsing and transfer. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computational Linguistics and the 44th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (COLING/ACL 2006), pp. 683–690 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Tohyama, H., Matsubara, S., Kawaguchi, N., Inagaki, Y.: Construction and utilization of bilingual speech corpus for simultaneous machine interpretation research. In: Proceedings of 9th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology (Eurospeech 2005), pp. 1585–1588 (2005), http://slp.el.itc.nagoya-u.ac.jp/sidb/.