Real Estate Decision Making Processes and Web-Based Applications: An Integrated Approach
Decision-making is a critical part of a typical real estate property valuation aimed at quantifying the market value of a property according to its qualitative characteristics. Being visualization a prominent character of this kind of problems, GIS are commonly used as a support for spatial decision analysis. This paper presents a new approach that regards decision making as a data-driven process whose tasks can be decomposed and made executable as granular applications individually. Being applications implemented on networked resources (GIS, applications, databases, and so on), this paper aims at defining a computational environment, enabled by web technologies and supporting the analyst in planning, designing and coordinating different real estate scenarios. The paper also describes an application of the computational environment which deals with the use of relevant geospatial service, user knowledge and statistical information.
KeywordsWeb-based decision analysis tools Spatial analysis Real Estate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dale, P.F., McLaughlin, J.D.: Land Information Management. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1988)Google Scholar
- Din, A., Hoesli, M., Bender, A.: Environmental Variables and Real Estate Prices. Urban Studies 38(11) (2001)Google Scholar
- Fujita, M.: Urban Economic Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1989)Google Scholar
- INSPIRE: Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing an Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (2007), http://www.ec-gis.org/inspire/
- Jankowski, P., Nyerges, T.L., Smith, A., Moore, T.J., Horvath, E.: Spatial group choice: a SDSS tool for collaborative spatial decision-making. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems 11, 566–602 (1997)Google Scholar
- Kertscher, D.: The German Digital Purchase Price Collection,–Maintenance, Use, Results. In: FIG Working Week, Germany (2003)Google Scholar
- Malczewski, J.: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, GIS-based multicriteria decision analysis: a survey of the literature (2006), ISSN 1365-8816 print/ISSN 1362-3087 online #Google Scholar
- Nebert, D.: Developing Spatial Data Infrastructures: the SDI Cookbook (2004), http://www.gsdi.org/docs2004/Cookbook/cookbookV2.0.pdf
- Carver, S.: Developing web-based GIS/MCE: Improving access to data and spatial decision support tools. In: Thill, J.-C. (ed.) Multi- criteria decision-making and analysis: A geographic information sciences approach, pp. 49–75. Ashgate Publishing Ltd., Aldershot (1999)Google Scholar
- Smits, P.C., Düren, U., Østensen, O., Murre, L., Gould, L., Sandgren, U., Marinelli, M., Murray, K., Pross, E., Wirthmann, A., Salgé, F., Konecny, M.: Architecture and Standards Position Paper. JRC- Institute for Environment and Sustainability, Ispra (2002)Google Scholar