Assessing Macroseismic Data Reliability through Rough Set Theory: Application on Vulture Area (Basilicata, Southern Italy)
This paper deals with the analysis of the reliability of information concerning damages caused to buildings by earthquakes. This research was started after analyzing a huge amount of written sources drawn up after 1930 Irpinia (southern Italy) earthquake. The analysis led to delineate damage ‘scenarios’, useful in trying to mitigate seismic risk for most affected towns. Once analyzed the effects induced by the quake, it was suitable to assess the reliability of the retrieved information. A data-set has been built concerning administrative-technical aspects of 1930 earthquake and referring to the most important towns of the area. Data have been analyzed through Rough Set Approach, a non-parametric statistic methodology.
KeywordsRough Set Theory earthquake damage pattern macroseismic data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Stucchi, M.: A basic European Earthquake Catalogue and a Database for the evaluation of long-term seismicity and seismic hazard (BECCD). Environment/II EC project-95/02-97/12 (1998), http://emidius.mi.ingv.it/BEECD/BEECDflow.html (Last access 13.04.10)
- 3.Albini, P., Moroni, A. (eds.): Materials of CEC Project Review of Historical Seismicity in Europe, CNR, Milano, vol. 2 (1994), http://emidius.mi.ingv.it/RHISE/RHISE_deliverables.html (last access 13.04.10)
- 4.Boschi, E., Guidoboni, E., Ferrari, G., Mariotti, D., Valensise, G., Gasperini, P.: Catalogue of Strong Italian Earthquakes from 461 B.C. to 1997, Introductory texts and CD-ROM, Version 3 of the Catalogo dei forti terremoti in Italia. Annali di Geofisica 43(4) (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Gizzi, F.T., Masini, N.: Damage scenario of the earthquake on 23 July 1930 in Melfi: the contribution of the technical documentation. Annals of Geophysics 47(5), 1641–1665 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Komorowski, J., Pawlal, Z., Polkowski, L., Skowron, A.: B6. A Rough Set Perspective on Data and Knowledge. In: Klosgen, Zytkow (eds.) The handbook of data mining and knowledge discovery. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Gorsevski, P.V., Jankowski, P.: Discerning landslide susceptibility using rough sets. Environment and Urban Systems 32, 53–65 (2008)Google Scholar