PANS Methodology Applied to Elliptic-Relaxation Based Eddy Viscosity Transport Model
The Partially-Averaged Navier-Stokes (PANS) approach is a recently proposed method which changes seamlessly from the Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) model equations to the direct numerical solution (DNS) of the Navier-Stokes equations as the unresolved-to-total ratios of kinetic energy and dissipation are varied. Two variants of the PANS model are derived up to now, one based on the k-ε formulation and the other based on the k-ω formulation.We introduce here another variant which is based on four equation eddy viscosity transport model, namely ζ-f turbulence model. Benefits of using such near wall model inside the PANS concept are clearly presented in this paper.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Direct Numerical Simulation Wall Model Smagorinsky Model Direct Numerical Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Basara, B., Krajnović, S., Girimaji, S.: PANS vs. LES for computations of the flow around a 3D bluff body. In: Proc. of ERCOFTAC 7th Int. Symp. - ETMM7, Lymassol, Cyprus, vol. 2/3, pp. 548–554 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Chaouat, B., Schiestel, R.: A new partially integrated transport model for subgrid-scale stresses and dissipation rate for turbulent developing flows. Phys. Fluids 17, 1–19 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Hanjalić, K., Popovac, M., Hadziabdic, H.: A robust near-wall elliptic-relaxation eddy-viscosity turbulence model for CFD. Int. J. of Heat and Fluid Flow 25, 1048–1051 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Krajnović, S.: Large eddy simulation of the flow around a tall finite cylinder. In: Flow, Turbulence and Combustion (2009) (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- 7.Krajnović, S., Basara, B.: Numerical simulations of the flow around a tall finite cylinder using LES and PANS. In: Proc. of iTi Conference on Turbulence, Bertinoro, Italy (2008)Google Scholar