Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer in a Channel with Spherical and Oval Dimples
Vortex mechanism of heat transfer enhancement in a narrow channel with dimples has been investigated numerically using unsteady Reynolds averaged Navier Stokes equations (URANS SST and SAS) and Large Eddy Simulations (LES). The flow separation results in a formation of vortex structures which significantly enhance the heat transfer on dimpled surfaces conducted by a small increase of the pressure loss. The vortex structures and the flow are sufficiently unsteady. The vortex structure inside of the dimple changes steadily its orientation causing the long period oscillations with opposite-of-phase motion. The heat transfer enhancement is caused mostly by the amplification of convection. The effect of the wetted area increase is sufficiently smaller.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Large Eddy Simulation Vortex Structure Heat Transfer Enhancement Asymmetric Vortex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Terekhov, V.I., Kalinina, S.V., Mshvidobadse, Y.M.: Heat transfer coefficient and aerodynamic resistance on a surface with a single dimple. Enhanced Heat Transfer 4, 131–145 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Gromov, P.R., Zobnin, A., Rabinovich, M.I., Sushik, M.M.: Creation of solitary vortices in a flow around shallow spherical depressions. Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 12, 547–548 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Kiknadze, G.I., Oleinikov, V.G.: Self-organization of tornado-like vortex structures in gas and liquid flows and heat transfer intensification. Proc. Inst. Thermophysics, Preprint 227, Novosibirsk, 1–46 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Isaev, S.A., Leont’ev, A.I., Baranov, P.A., Pyshnyi, I.A.: Numerical analysis of the influence of the depth of a spherical hole on a plane wall on turbulent heat transfer. J. Eng. Physics and Thermophysics 76, 52–59 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Chyu, M.K., Yu, Y., Ding, H., Downs, J.P., Soechting, F.: Concavity enhanced heat transfer in an internal cooling passage. ASME Paper, No 97-GT-437 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Isaev, S.A., Leontev, A.I., Mitjakov, A.V., Pyshnyi, I.A.: Intensification of tornado-like heat transfer in asymmetric dimples. J. Engineering Physics and Thermophysics 76, 31–34 (2003)Google Scholar