Local versus Nonlocal Processes in Turbulent Flows, Kinematic Coupling and General Stochastic Processes
In this paper we show that the role of kinematic relationships in the issue of nonlocality goes far beyond their use in the nonlocal interpretation of the Kolmogorov 4/5 law and applicable also to general stochastic processes, unrelated to the N-S equation.We put special emphasis on this aspect pointing to a large number of such relations for the structure functions expressed via terms all of which have the form of correlations between large- and small-scale quantities, and giving examples of their experimental verification at large Reynolds numbers in field and airborne experiments.
KeywordsInertial Range Kinematic Relation Israel Science Foundation Mixed Moment Kinematic Coupling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gulitski, G., Kholmyansky, M., Kinzelbach, W., Lüthi, B., Tsinober, A., Yorish, S.: Velocity and temperature derivatives in high-Reynolds-number turbulent flows in the atmospheric surface layer. Part 1. Facilities, methods and some general results. J. Fluid Mech. 589, 57–81 (2007)zbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kholmyansky, M., Sabelnikov, V., Tsinober, A.: New developments in field experiments in ASL: Kolmogorov 4/5 law and nonlocality. In: 18th AMS Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, Stockholm, June 9–12 (2008), http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/139408.pdf
- 5.Kolmogorov, A.N.: Dissipation of energy in locally isotropic turbulence. Dokl. Acad. Nauk SSSR 32, 19–21 (1941); for English translation see: Selected works of A. N. Kolmogorov, I, Tikhomirov, V.M. (ed.), pp. 324–327. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Monin, A.S., Yaglom, A.M.: Statistical Fluid Mechanics. In: Lumley, J. (ed.), vol. 2. MIT Press, Cambridge (1975)Google Scholar
- 7.Sabelnikov, V.: Obtained a number of kinematic relations between Δu = (u 2 − u 1), u 1= u(x) and u 2= u(x + r): Two presentations made in Laboratoire de mecanique des fluids et d’acoustique, Ecole centrale de Lyon: 1) Large Reynolds-Number Asymptotics of Karman–Howarth Equation, May 26; 2) Kolmogorov’s local isotropy turbulence theory: state-of-the art, June 27 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Tsinober, A.: Nonlocality in turbulence. In: Gyr, A., Kinzelbach, W. (eds.) Sedimentation and Sediment Transport: At the Crossroads of Physics and Engineering, pp. 11–22. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (2003)Google Scholar