Large-Eddy Simulation of Transonic Buffet over a Supercritical Airfoil
The transonic buffet is an aerodynamic phenomenon that results in a large-scale self-sustained periodic motion of the shock over the surface of the airfoil. The time scale associated to this motion is much slower than the one of the wall bounded turbulence. It is then an appropriate case for URANS approaches and first attempts with these methods have been reasonably successful in reproducing the mean features of such flows. Nevertheless, as shown by Thiery and Coustols  results are very sensitive to the turbulence model. Moreover, with some models, it is necessary to increase the angle of attack with respect to experiment to obtain an unsteady flow.
KeywordsLongitudinal Velocity Suction Side Separate Shear Layer Detach Eddy Simulation Full Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deck, S.: AIAA J. 43, 1556–1566 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Thiery, M., Coustols, E.: Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 74, 331–354 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacquin, L., Molton, P., Deck, S., Maury, B., Soulevant, D.: AIAA paper 2005-4902 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Ducros, F., Ferrand, V., Nicoud, F., Weber, C., Darracq, D., Gacherieu, C., Poinsot, T.: J. Comput. Phys. 152, 517–549 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Garnier, E.: Stimulated Detached Eddy Simulation of three-dimensional shock/boundary layer interaction (to be published in Shock waves)Google Scholar
- 6.Lenormand, E., Sagaut, P., Ta Phuoc, L., Comte, P.: AIAA J. 38, 1340–1350 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, B.H.K.: Aeronautical Journal, 143–152 (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Crouch, J.D., Garbaruk, A., Magidov, D., Jacquin, L.: Proceedings of IUTAM conference, Corfou, GREECE (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Trapier, S., Duveau, P., Deck, S.: AIAA J. 44, 2354–2365 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Burg, J.P.: In Modern Spectrum Analysis. In: Childers, D.G. (ed.), pp. 34–41. IEEE Press, New-York (1978)Google Scholar