Detection of Circular Arcs in a Digital Image Using Chord and Sagitta Properties
- 544 Downloads
This paper presents a new technique for detection of digital circles and circular arcs using chord property and sagitta property. It is shown how a variant of the chord property of an Euclidean circle can be used to detect a digital circle or a circular arc. Based on this property, digital circular arcs are first extracted and then using the sagitta property, their centers and radii are computed. Several arcs are merged together to form a complete digital circle or a larger arc. Finally, a technique based on Hough transform is used to improve the accuracy of computing the centers and radii. Experimental results have been furnished to demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed method.
KeywordsCircle detection Chord property Digital geometry Sagitta property Hough transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bhowmick, P., Bhattacharya, B.B.: Fast polygonal approximation of digital curves using relaxed straightness properties. IEEE Trans. PAMI 29(9), 1590–1602 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Davies, E.R.: A modified Hough scheme for general circle location. PR 7(1), 37–43 (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Illingworth, J., Kittler, J.: A survey of the Hough transform. CVGIP 44(1) (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Leavers, V.: Survey: Which Hough transform? 58(2), 250–264 (September 1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Rosin, P.L.: Techniques for assessing polygonal approximation of curves. IEEE Trans. PAMI 19(6), 659–666 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Wall, K., Danielsson, P.-E.: A fast sequential method for polygonal approximation of digitized curves. CVGIP 28, 220–227 (1984)Google Scholar
- 16.Weisstein, E.W.: Sagitta. From MathWorld—A Wolfram web resource (1993), http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sagitta.html