An Optimum ICA Based Multiuser Data Separation for Short Message Service
This paper presents a new algorithm for efficient separation of short messages which are mixed in a multi user short message system. Separation of mixed random binary sequences of data is more difficult than mixed sequences of multivalued signals. The proposed algorithm applies Kullback leibler independent component analysis (ICA) over mixed binary sequences of received data. Normally, the length of binary codes of short messages are less than the required length that makes ICA algorithm sufficiently work. To overcome this problem, a random binary tail is inserted after each user short message at the transmitter side. The inserted tails for different users are acquired in a way to conclude the least correlation between them. The optimum choice of random binary tail not only increase the performance of separation by increasing the data length but also by minimizing the correlation between multiuser data.
KeywordsShort message service independent component analysis Kullback Leibler MIMO
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.GSM Doc 28/85, Services and Facilities to be provided in the GSM System, rev. 2 (June 1985)Google Scholar
- 2.LA Times: Why text messages are limited to 160 charactersGoogle Scholar
- 3.GSM 03.40, Technical realization of the Short Message Service (SMS)Google Scholar
- 5.Wong, C.S., Obradovic, D., Madhu, N.: Independent component analysis (ICA) for blind equalization of frequency selective channels. In: Proc. 13th IEEE Workshop Neural Networks Signal Processing, pp. 419–428 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Jutten, C., Herault, J.: Independent component analysis versus PCA. In: Proc. EUSIPCO, pp. 643–646 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Khosravy, M., Alsharif, M.R., Guo, B., Lin, H., Yamashita, K.: A Robust and Precise Solution to Permutation Indeterminacy and Complex Scaling Ambiguity in BSS-based Blind MIMO-OFDM Receiver. In: Adali, T., Jutten, C., Romano, J.M.T., Barros, A.K. (eds.) ICA 2009. LNCS, vol. 5441, pp. 670–677. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Khosravy, M., Asharif, M.R., Yamashita, K.: An Efficient ICA Based Approach to Multiuser Detection in MIMO OFDM Systems. In: 7th International Workshop on Multi-Carrier Systems and Solutions (MC-SS 2009), Herrsching, Germany, May 5-6. LNEE, vol. 41, pp. 47–56 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Khosravy, M., Asharif, M.R., Guo, B., Lin, H., Yamashita, K.: A Blind ICA Based Receiver with Efficient Multiuser Detection for Multi-Input Multi-Output OFDM Systems. In: The 8th International Conference on Applications and Principles of Information Science (APIS), Okinawa, Japan, pp. 311–314 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Amari, S., Cichocki, A., Yang, H.H.: A new learning algorithm for blind signal separation. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 8, pp. 757–763 (1996)Google Scholar