HATS: High Accuracy Timestamping System Based on NetFPGA
The delay and dispersion of the packet train have been widely used in most network measurement tools. The timestamp of the packet is critical for the measurement accuracy. However, timestamping performed either in the application or the kernel layer would be easily affected by the source and destination hosts especially in high-speed network. Therefore, to evaluate the impact of the timestamp precision on the measurement, a high accuracy timestamping hardware system (HATS) based on NetFPGA was designed and implemented. With HATS, the deviation of timestamp accuracy among the application, the kernel and the hardware layers was analyzed.
KeywordsNetwork measurement timestamp accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NetFPGA, http://www.netfpga.org
- 3.Batista, D.M., Chaves, L.J., da Fonseca, N.L.S., Ziviani, A.: Performance analysis of available bandwidth estimation. The Journal of Supercomputing (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Wenwei, L., Dafang, Z., Gaogang, X., Jinmin, Y.: A High Precision approach of Network Delay Measurement Based on General PC. Journal of Software (February 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.SysKonnect, http://www.syskonnct.com
- 6.Endace DAG NICs, http://www.endace.com/dag-network-monitoring-cards.html
- 8.Wac, K., Arlos, P., Fiedler, M., Chevul, S., Isaksson, L., Bults, R.: Accuracy Evaluation of Application-Level Performance Measurements. In: Proceedsings of the 3rd EURO-NGI Conference on Next Generation Internet Networks Design and Engineering for Heterogeneity, NGI 2007(May 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Arlos, P., Fiedler, M.: A Comparison of Measurement Accuracy for DAG, Tcpdump and Windump (January 2007), http://www.its.bth.se/staff/pca/aCMA.pdf,verif