An Availability-Aware Task Scheduling for Heterogeneous Systems Using Quantum-behaved Particle Swarm Optimization
A major challenge in task scheduling is the availability of resources. In a heterogeneous environment, where processors operate at different speeds and are not continuously available for computation, achieving a better make-span is a key issue. The existing algorithm SSAC has proved to be a good trade-off between availability and responsiveness while maintaining a good performance in the average response time of multiclass tasks. But the makespan may be influenced due to load imbalance. In this paper we proposed approach try to further optimize this scheduling strategy by using quantum-behaved particle swarm optimization. And compared with SSAC and MINMIN in the simulation experiment; results indicate that our proposed technique is a better solution for reducing the makespan considerably.
KeywordsQuantum-behaved Particle Swarm Optimization Task Scheduling Heterogeneous Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Sun, J., Xu, W.B.: A Global Search Strategy of Quantum-behaved Particle Swarm Optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Cybemetics and Intelligent Systems, pp. 111–116 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Sun, J., Feng, B., Xu, W.B.: Particle Swarm Optimization with Particles Having Quantum Behavior. In: Proceedings of Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 325–331 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: The 6th Int. Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, H., Xu, S., Liang, X.: A Modified Quantum-Behaved Particle Swarm Optimization for Constrained Optimization. In: International Symposium on Intelligent Information Technology Application Workshops, pp. 531–534 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Kacem, I., Sadfi, C., El-Kamel, A.: Branch and Bound and Dynamic Programming to Minimize the Total Completion Times on a Single Machine with Availability Constraints. In: Proc IEEE Int’l Conf. Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 1657–1662 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Deepa, R., Srinivasan, P.T., Doreen Hephzibah Miriam, D.: An Efficient Task Scheduling Technique in Heterogeneous Systems Using Self-Adaptive Selection-Based Genetic Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the international symposium on Parallel Computing in Electrical Engineering, pp. 343–348. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar