Selecting Knots Locally for Curve Interpolation with Quadratic Precision
There are several prevailing methods for selecting knots for curve interpolation. A desirable criterion for knot selection is whether the knots can assist an interpolation scheme to achieve the reproduction of polynomial curves of certain degree if the data points to be interpolated are taken from such a curve. For example, if the data points are sampled from an underlying quadratic polynomial curve, one would wish to have the knots selected such that the resulting interpolation curve reproduces the underlying quadratic curve; and in this case the knot selection scheme is said to have quadratic precision. In this paper we propose a local method for determining knots with quadratic precision. This method improves on upon our previous method that entails the solution of a global equation to produce a knot sequence with quadratic precision. We show that this new knot selection scheme results in better interpolation error than other existing methods, including the chord-length method, the centripetal method and Foley’s method, which do not possess quadratic precision.
Keywordsparametric curves knots quadratic polynomial interpolation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Brodlie, K.W.: A review of methods for curve and function drawing. In: Brodile, K.W. (ed.) Mathematical methods in computer graphics and design, pp. 1–37. Academic Press, London (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.Su, B., Liu, D.: Computational Geometry, pp. 47–48. Shanghai Science and Technology Press, Shanghai (1982)Google Scholar
- 5.Faux, I.D., Pratt, M.J.: Computational Geometry for Design and Manufacture. Ellis Horwood (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Späth, H.: Spline algorithms for curves and surfaces Utilitas Mathematica. Winnipeg, Canada (1974)Google Scholar
- 13.Xie, H., Qin, H.: Automatic Knot Determination of NURBS for Interactive Geometric Design. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, SMI 2001, pp. 267–277 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Hartley, P.J., Judd, C.J.: Parametrization and shape of B-spline curves for CAD. CAD 12(5), 235–238 (1980)Google Scholar