Retracted: Design Education in the Global Era
The aim of this paper is to show the collaboration of design disciplines to instill a broader sense of design for students through intercultural service learning projects. While there are programs that are reinventing their curriculum, there are still several that follow the classic structure of a first year art foundation program with the final years concentrating on the desired discipline. The interactions at a global scale, has heightened the need for graduates to learn to interact more effectively with people from different cultures. This approach combines the concern of addressing a need for design in a real world situation, with learning how to understand culture, place, and experience through a collaborative project. Referencing a specific international service learning project, and drawing from literature on internationalization of education, this paper explores key concepts, learning objectives, methods, and challenges faced in addressing the need to prepare students for practice in an increasingly integrated workplace.
Keywordscollaboration international service learning design-build community engagement interdisciplinary design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vlahos, E.: Service Learning and Community Outreach in Architecture Curricula. In: EDRA, Conference proceedings (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Salama, A.: Skill-based / Knowledge-based Architectural Pedagogies: An Argument for Creating Humane Environments. In: Conference Proceedings: The International Association of Humane Habitat at Rizvi College of Architecture, Mumbai, India, January 29-31 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Wallis, C., Steptoe, S.: How to Build a Student for the 21 St Century. Time, Canadian Edition, December 16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Dutton, T.A.: The Hidden Curriculum and the Design Studio. Voices in Architectural Education. Bergin & Gavrvey, NY (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Beaverford, K.: Service Learning in the Global Community, Changing Trends in Architectural Education. In: Conference Proceedings: The International Conference of the Centre for the Study of Architecture in the Arab Region, Rabat, Morocco, November 14-16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Bell, B.: Good Deeds, Good Design: Community Service through Architecture. Princeton Architectural Press, NY (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Boyer, E., Mitgang, D.: Building Community: A New Future for Architecture and Practice. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, NJ (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Nicol, D., Piling, S.: Changing Architectural Education: Towards a New Professionalism. Spon Press, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Shragge, E.: Activism and Social Change: Lessons for Community and Local Organizing. Broadview Press, Toronto (2003)Google Scholar