Evolutionary Approach of Virtual Communities of Practice: A Reflection within a Network of Spanish Rural Schools
The isolation of rural communities creates special necessities for teachers and students in rural schools. The present article describes “Rural Virtual School”, a Virtual Community of Practice (VCoP) in which Spanish teachers of rural schools share learning resources and teaching methodologies through social software applications. The article arrives to an evolutionary model, in which the use of the social software tools evolves together with the needs and the activities of the VCoP through the different stages of its lifetime. Currently, the community has reached a high level of maturity and, in order to keep its momentum, the members intentionally use appropriate technologies specially designed to enhance rich innovative educational approaches, through which they collaboratively generate creative practices.
KeywordsVCoP social software affordance appropriate technologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wenger, E.: Communities of practice: a brief introduction (2006), http://www.ewenger.com/theory/communities_of_practice_intro.htm (retrieved February 5, 2010)
- 2.Wenger, E., McDermott, R., Snyder, W.M.: Cultivating communities of practice. Harvard Business School Press, Boston (2002), http://books.google.es/books?hl=es&lr=&id=m1xZuNq9RygC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=stewardship+Wenger,+McDermott,++Snyder+2002+Cultivating+communities+of+practice&ots=ZS79fN6hcX&sig=-St0vrRvG4gdyt20GmtzqqNHjQU#v=onepage&q=stewardship&f=false (retrieved February 5, 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Palmisano, J.: Motivating Knowledge Contribution in Virtual Communities of Practice: A Self-Determination Theory Perspective. In: AMCIS 2009 Doctoral Consortium, Palmisano (2009), http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1008&context=amcis2009_dc (retrieved February 5, 2010)
- 4.Affordance: From Wikipedia (2010) Retrieved from, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance
- 5.Appropriate technology: From Wikipedia (2010) Retrieved from, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriate_technology
- 6.Barajas, M., Boix, R., Martinez, M., Silvestre, S.: Creating virtual learning communities of rural schools teachers. In: Barajas, M., Boix, R., Martinez, M., Silvestre, S. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2007 RURALEARN Conference, Mesta, Chios, Greece, pp. 61–69 (2007), http://www.ea.gr/ea/myfiles/File/publications/rrProc2007.pdf (retrieved February 5, 2010)
- 7.Boix, R.: Escuela rural y territorio: entre la desruralización y la cultural local, Revista Digital eRural, Educación. Cultura y Desarrollo Rural 1(1) (2003), http://www.red-ler.org/escuela-rural-territorio.pdf (retrieved February 5, 2010)