An Optimized 3D Surface Reconstruction Method Using Spatial Kalman Filtering of Projected Line Patterns
Real-time 3D surface reconstruction is a widely interested technique in the manufacturing industry. In this paper, an effective 3D surface reconstruction method using the active stereo with the projection of straight line patterns is proposed. For the purpose of real-time applications, 3D surface reconstruction is achieved by using two simple line projections. A depth-map is obtained by searching the projected lines. The final 3D surface is constructed by applying a spatial Kalman filter to the measured depth-map. Because it uses very simple line projections and searches the robust line patterns, it can be a fast, reliable and cost saving 3D measurement in comparison with the sinusoidal fringes projection methods.
KeywordsKalman Filter Reference Plane Line Pattern Gray Code Height Estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Robinson, D.W., Reid, G.T.: Interferogram analysis: Digital Fringe Pattern Measurement Techniques. IOP Publishing Ltd. (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Wu, L.S., Peng, Q.J.: Research and development of fringe projection-based methods in 3D shape reconstruction. Journal of Zhejiang University, SCIENCE A (2006) doi:10.1631/jzus.2006.A1026Google Scholar
- 6.Kalman Filter, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalman_filter
- 7.Brown, R.G., Hwang, P.Y.C., et al.: Introduction to Random Signals and Applied Kalman Filtering, 2nd edn., New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Welch, G., Bishop, G.: An Introduction to the Kalman Filter, TR 95-041 Department of Computer Science University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Lovergine, Stramaglia, F.P., et al.: Fast weighted least squares for solving the phase unwrapping problem (1999), doi:10.1109/IGARSS.1999.774626Google Scholar
- 10.Hsu, Chen, R.L., et al.: Local weight selection for two-dimensional phase unwrapping (1999), doi:10.1109/ICIP.1999.817270Google Scholar
- 11.Pagess, J., Salvi, J., et al.: Overview of coded light projection techniques for automatic 3D profiling. In: International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 133–138 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Ferrari, M.B., et al.: A Coded modulation schemes based on partial Gray mapping and unpunctured high rate turbo codes (2005), doi:10.1049/ip-com:20050292Google Scholar
- 13.Balas, C.: An imaging colorimeter for non contact tissue color mapping (1997), doi:10.1109/10.581936Google Scholar