Scale- and Rotation-Robust Genetic Programming-Based Corner Detectors
This paper introduces GP- (Genetic Programming-) based robust corner detectors for scaled and rotated images. Previous Harris, SUSAN and FAST corner detectors are highly efficient for well-defined corners, but frequently mis-detect as corners the corner–like edges which are often generated in rotated images. It is very difficult to avoid incorrectly detecting as corners many edges which have characteristics similar to corners. In this paper, we have focused on this challenging problem and proposed using Genetic Programming to do automated generation of corner detectors that work robustly on scaled and rotated images. Various terminal sets are presented and tested to capture the key properties of corners. Combining intensity-related information, several mask sizes, and amount of contiguity of neighboring pixels of similar intensity, allows a well-devised terminal set to be proposed. This method is then compared to three existing corner detectors on test images and shows superior results.
Keywordscorner detector genetic programming automated generation scale and rotation robust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Besetti, S., Soule, T.: Function Choice, Resiliency and Growth in Genetic Programming. In: Proceedings of the 2005 conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO 2005), USA, pp. 1771–1772 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Ebner, M.: On the Evolution of Interest Operators using Genetic Programming. In: Proceeding of the First European Workshops on Genetic Programming (EuroGP 1998), Paris, pp. 6–10 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Edner, M., Zell, A.: Evolving Task Specific Image Operator. In: Proceeding of the First European Workshops on Evolutionary Image Analysis, Signal Processing and Telecommunications (EvolASP 1999), Goteborg, pp. 74–89 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Harris, C., Stephens, M.: A Combined Corner and Edge Detector. In: Proceeding of the 4th Alvey Vision Conference, UK, pp. 147–151 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Moravec, H.P.: Visual mapping by a robot rover. In: Proceeding of the 6th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJACI), Tokyo, pp. 598–600 (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Rosten, E., Porter, R., Drummond, T.: Faster and better: a machine learning approach to corner detection. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (2008) Google Scholar
- 12.Silva, S.: GPLAB: A Genetic Programming Toolbox for MATLAB. Version 3 (2009), http://gplab.sourceforge.net/index.html
- 14.Trujillo, L., Olague, G.: Synthesis of Interest Point Detectors through Genetic Programming. In: Proceeding of the 8th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO 2006), Seattle, pp. 887–893 (2006)Google Scholar