Evolutionary Algorithm for Generation of Entertaining Shinro Logic Puzzles
A Shinro puzzle is a type of deductive reasoning puzzle that originated in Japanese periodicals. To solve the puzzle, one must locate twelve hidden stones on an 8x8 grid using only clues in the form of stone counts per row and column, and arrows placed in the grid that point to some of the hidden stones. Construction of these puzzles by hand is tedious. We explore the use of a simple genetic algorithm that automates construction of Shinro puzzles with desirable qualities which improve their entertainment value.
Keywordsgenetic algorithm logic puzzles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jabeh - Logic Game for iPhone and iPod Touch, http://jabeh.org/
- 2.Shinro Mines for iPhone and iPod Touch, http://www.benjiware.com/main/Shinro_Mines.html
- 3.Shinro - the Next Sudoku (iPhone game), http://web.me.com/romancini/Far_Apps/Shinro.html
- 4.Shinro Puzzles, http://shinropuzzles.web.officelive.com
- 5.Sternenhimmel, http://www.janko.at/Raetsel/Sternenhimmel/index.htm
- 6.Fun and Games. Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mantere, T., Koljonen, J.: Solving, rating and generating Sudoku puzzles with GA. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (2007)Google Scholar