Evolution of Artificial Terrains for Video Games Based on Accessibility
Diverse methods have been developed to generate terrains under constraints to control terrain features, but most of them use strict restrictions. However, there are situations were more flexible restrictions are sufficient, such as ensuring that terrains have enough accessible area, which is an important trait for video games. The Genetic Terrain Program technique, based on genetic programming, was used to automatically evolve Terrain Programs (TPs - which are able to generate terrains procedurally) for the desired accessibility parameters. Results showed that the accessibility parameters have negligible influence on the evolutionary system and that the terminal set has a major role on the terrain look. TPs produced this way are already being used on Chapas video game.
Keywordsgenetic terrain programming artificial terrains video games
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Belhadj, F.: Terrain modeling: a constrained fractal model. In: 5th International conference on CG, virtual reality, visualisation and interaction in Africa, pp. 197–204. ACM, Grahamstown (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Brosz, J., Samavati, F.F., Sousa, M.C.: Terrain synthesis by-example. In: First International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Applications (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Chiang, M., Huang, J., Tai, W., Liu, C., Chang, C.: Terrain synthesis: An interactive approach. In: International Workshop on Advanced Image Tech. (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ebert, D., Musgrave, K., Peachey, D., Perlin, K., Worley, S.: Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach, 3rd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Frade, M., de Vega, F.F., Cotta, C.: Modelling video games’ landscapes by means of genetic terrain programming - a new approach for improving users’ experience. In: Giacobini, M., Brabazon, A., Cagnoni, S., Di Caro, G.A., Drechsler, R., Ekárt, A., Esparcia-Alcázar, A.I., Farooq, M., Fink, A., McCormack, J., O’Neill, M., Romero, J., Rothlauf, F., Squillero, G., Uyar, A.Ş., Yang, S. (eds.) EvoWorkshops 2008. LNCS, vol. 4974, pp. 485–490. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Frade, M., de Vega, F.F., Cotta, C.: Breeding terrains with genetic terrain programming - the evolution of terrain generators. International Journal for Computer Games Technology 2009, (Article ID 125714) 13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Olsen, J.: Realtime procedural terrain generation - realtime synthesis of eroded fractal terrain for use in computer games. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (IMADA). University of Southern Denmark (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Stachniak, S., Stuerzlinger, W.: An algorithm for automated fractal terrain deformation. Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence 1, 64–76 (2005)Google Scholar