Development of Quadruple Precision Arithmetic Toolbox QuPAT on Scilab
When floating point arithmetic is used in numerical computation, cancellation of significant digits, round-off errors and information loss cannot be avoided. In some cases it becomes necessary to use multiple precision arithmetic; however some operations of this arithmetic are difficult to implement within conventional computing environments. In this paper we consider implementation of a quadruple precision arithmetic environment QuPAT (Quadruple Precision Arithmetic Toolbox) using the interactive numerical software package Scilab as a toolbox. Based on Double-Double (DD) arithmetic, QuPAT uses only a combination of double precision arithmetic operations. QuPAT has three main characteristics: (1) the same operator is used for both double and quadruple precision arithmetic; (2) both double and quadruple precision arithmetic can be used at the same time, and also mixed precision arithmetic is available; (3) QuPAT is independent of which hardware and operating systems are used. Finally we show the effectiveness of QuPAT in the case of analyzing a convergence property of the GCR(m) method for a system of linear equations.
Keywordsquadruple precision arithmetic mixed precision Scilab
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bailey, D.H.: QD (C++ / Fortran-90 double-double and quad-double package), http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/
- 3.Hida, Y., Li, X.S., Bailey, D.H.: Quad-double arithmetic: Algorithms, Implementation, and application. Technical Report LBNL-46996, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Hida, Y., Li, X.S., Bailey, D.H.: Algorithms for Quad-Double Precision Floating Point Arithmetic. In: Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, pp. 155–162 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kotakemori, H., Fujii, A., Hasegawa, H., Nishida, A.: Stabilization of Krylov subspace methods using fast quadruple-precision operation. Transactions of JSCES 12, 631–634 (2007) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.MatrixMarket, http://math.nist.gov/MatrixMarket/
- 8.Nakasato, N., Ishikawa, T., Makino, J., Yuasa, F.: Fast Quad-Precision Operations On Manycore Accelerators, IPSJ SIG Technical Report (2009) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 10.Scilab, http://www.scilab.org/