Design and Overhead Estimation of Device Driver Process
Conventional operating systems used to have device drivers as kernel modules or embedded objects. Therefore, maturity of a device driver influences on the reliability of the entire system. There is a method for constructing device driver as an user process for improving the reliability. Device driver process enhances the reliability of the operating system. However, device driver process has large overhead. In this paper, we propose a method for constructing device drivers process and evaluating these overhead. Also, this paper shows that the overhead of device driver process can be estimated.
KeywordsOperating system Device driver Microkernel Overhead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chou, A., Yang, J., Chelf, B., Hallem, S., Engler, D.: An empirical Study of Operating Systems Errors. In: Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp. 73–88 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Murphy, B.: Fault Tolerance role in this high availability world, http://research.microsoft.com/bmurphy/Fault%20Tolerance_files/frame.htm
- 3.Tanenbaum, A.S., Woodhull, A.S.: Operating Systems Design And Implementation, 3rd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Elphinstone, K., Goetz, S.: Initial Evaluation of a User-Level Device Driver Framework. In: Proceedings of the 9th Asia-Pacific Computer Systems Architecture Conference, pp. 256–269 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Yokoyama, K., Nomura, Y., Taniguchi, H., Maruyama, K.: Process control mechanism for dynamic running mode switch of application program. The IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems J91-D(3), 696–708 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Swift, M.M., Martin, S., Levy, H.M., Eggers, S.J.: Nooks: An Architecture for Reliable Device Drivers. In: Proceedings of the Tenth ACM SIGOPS European Workshop (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Bershad, B.N., Savage, S., Pardyak, P., Sirer, E.G., Fiuczynski, M.E., Chambers, C., Becker, D., Eggers, S.: Extensibility, Safety and Performance in the SPIN Operating System. In: Proceedings of 15th ACM Symposium on Operating system Principles, pp. 267–284 (1995)Google Scholar