Multi-variate Principal Component Analysis of Software Maintenance Effort Drivers
The global IT industry has already attained maturity and the number of software systems entering into the maintenance stage is steadily increasing. Further, the industry is also facing a definite shift from traditional environment of legacy softwares to newer softwares. Software maintenance (SM) effort estimation has become one of the most challenging tasks owing to the wide variety of projects and dynamics of the SM environment. Thus the real challenge lies in understanding the role of a large number of SM effort drivers. This work presents a multi-variate analysis of the effect of various drivers on maintenance effort using the Principal Component Analysis (PCA) approach. PCA allows reduction of data into a smaller number of components and its alternate interpretation by analysing the data covariance. The analysis is based on an available real life dataset of 14 drivers influencing the effort of 36 SM projects, as estimated by 6 experts.
KeywordsSoftware maintenance Effort estimation Principal Component Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE Standard 1219: Standard for Software Maintenance. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Shukla, R., Misra, A.K.: AI Based Framework for Dynamic Modeling of Software Maintenance Effort Estimation. In: International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering, pp. 313–317 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rao, B.S., Sarda, N.L.: Effort drivers in maintenance outsourcing - an experiment using Taguchi’s methodology. In: Seventh IEEE European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, pp. 1–10 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Jorgensen, M.: Experience with accuracy of software maintenance task effort prediction models. IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng., 674–681 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Shukla, R., Misra, A.K.: Estimating Software Maintenance Effort - A Neural Network Approach. In: 1st India Software Engineering Conference, Hyderabad, pp. 107–112. ACM Digital Library (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Phadke, M.S.: Quality Engineering Using Robust Design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood cliffs (1989)Google Scholar
- 17.Minitab, http://www.minitab.com
- 18.Shukla, R., Misra, A.K.: Software Maintenance Effort Estimation - Neural Network Vs Regression Modeling Approach. Int. J. Futur. Comp. Applic. (Accepted, 2010)Google Scholar