Semantic Web-Based Modeling of Clinical Pathways Using the UML Activity Diagrams and OWL-S
Clinical Pathways can be viewed as workflows, comprising an ordering of activities with associated execution constraints. Workflow models allow formal representation, analysis and execution of workflows in the Clinical Pathways. We present a semantic web-based approach where the domain knowledge and the workflow model are modeled separately as ontologies, while the Clinical Pathway and the associated workflows are modeled as the instantiations of these ontologies. Our workflow model is based on the UML Activity Diagrams and OWL-S service ontology, and the execution semantics are based on Place/Transition Petri Nets. We demonstrate our approach by capturing the workflow of the Prostate Cancer Care Pathway.
KeywordsClinical Pathway Domain Ontology Execution Model Clinical Task Execution Semantic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Narayana, S., McIlraith, S.: Simulation, verification and automated composition of web services. In: 11th international conference on World Wide Web, pp. 77–88. ACM, Hawaii (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Abidi, S., Abidi, S.S.R., Hussain, S., Butler, L.: Ontology-Based Modeling and Merging of Institution-Specific Prostate Cancer Clinical Pathways. In: Knowledge Management for Healthcare Processes Workshop at 18th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2008), Patras (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Anyanwu, K., Sheth, A., Cardoso, J., Miller, J., Kochut, K.: Healthcare Enterprise Process Development and Integration. Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology, Special Issue in Health Knowledge Management, 83–98 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Peleg, M., Tu, S., Manindroo, A., Altman, R.: Modeling and analyzing biomedical processes using workflow/Petri Net models and tools. Studies in health technology and informatics 107, 74–78 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Dominguez, D., Fernandez, C., Meneu, T., Mocholi, J.B., Serafin, R.: Medical guidelines for the patient: introducing the life assistance protocols. Studies in health technology and informatics 139, 193–202 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Ye, Y., Jiang, Z., Yang, D., Du, G.: A semantics-based clinical pathway workflow and variance management framework. In: IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, pp. 758–763. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Du, G., Jiang, Z., Diao, X.: The integrated modeling and framework of clinical pathway adaptive workflow management system based on Extended Workflow-nets (EWF-nets). In: IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, pp. 914–919. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar