Small Grid Drawings of Planar Graphs with Balanced Bipartition
In a grid drawing of a planar graph, every vertex is located at a grid point, and every edge is drawn as a straight-line segment without any edge-intersection. It has been known that every planar graph G of n vertices has a grid drawing on an (n − 2)×(n − 2) integer grid and such a drawing can be found in linear time. In this paper we show that if a planar graph G has a balanced bipartition then G has a grid drawing with small grid area. More precisely, if a separation pair bipartitions G into two edge-disjoint subgraphs G 1 and G 2, then G has a grid drawing on a W×H grid such that both the width W and height H are smaller than the larger number of vertices in G 1 and in G 2. In particular, we show that every series-parallel graph G has a grid drawing on a (2n/3)×(2n/3) grid and such a drawing can be found in linear time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Schnyder, W.: Embedding planar graphs on the grid. In: Proc. of First ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 138–148 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Dolev, D., Leighton, F.T., Trickey, H.: Planar embedding of planar graphs. Advances in Computing Research 2, 147–161 (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.Shiloach, Y.: Arrangements of Planar Graphs on the Planar Lattice. PhD thesis, Weizmann Institute of Science (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.Nishizeki, T., Chiba, N.: Planar Graphs: Theory and Algorithms. Dover Publications, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Biedl, T.: On small drawings of series-parallel graphs and other subclasses of planar graphs. In: Proc. of GD 2009 (to appear)Google Scholar