Teaching Public-Key Cryptography in School
- 922 Downloads
These days, public-key cryptography is indispensable to ensure both confidentiality and authenticity in numerous applications which comprise securely communicating via mobile phone or email or digitally signing documents.
For all public-key systems, such as RSA, mathematically challenging and technically involved methods are employed which are often above the level of secondary school students as they employ deep results from algebra. Following an approach suggested in 2003 by Tim Bell et al. in Computers and Education, volume 40, number 3, we deal with the question of how to teach young students the main concepts, issues, and solutions of public-key systems without being forced to also teach rather complicated theorems of number theory beforehand.
KeywordsSecret Information Teaching Goal Encrypt Message Phone Book Symmetric Cryptography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bauer, F.L.: Decrypted Secrets: Methods and Maxims of Cryptology, 4th edn. Springer, Secaucus (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bell, T., Fellows, M., Witten, I.H.: Computer Science Unplugged - Off-line activities and games for all ages (1999), www.csunplugged.org (last accessed: October 22, 2009)
- 4.Bundesrat and EDK. Verordnung des Bundesrates/Reglement der EDK über die Anerkennung von gymnasialen Maturitätsausweisen (MAR) (1995), http://www.sbf.admin.ch/evamar/reglemente/VO_MAR_1995_d.pdf (last accessed: October 22, 2009)
- 6.Cull, P.: Perfect codes on graphs. In: Proc. of the 1997 International Symposium on Information Theory, p. 452 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Diffie, W., Hellman, M.E.: New directions in cryptography. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory IT-22(6), 644–654 (1976)Google Scholar
- 9.Elmiger, D.: Die zweisprachige Maturität in der Schweiz (2008), www.sbf.admin.ch/htm/dokumentation/publikationen/bildung/bilingue_matur_de.pdf (last accessed: October 22, 2009)
- 10.Freiermuth, K., Hromkovič, J., Keller, L., Steffen, B.: Kryptologie, Lehrbuch Informatik. Vieweg+Teubner (to appear, 2009)Google Scholar