EUVN_DA: Realization of the European Continental GPS/leveling Network
- 2k Downloads
EUREF, the Sub-commission for the Euro-pean Reference Frame within IAG Commission 1, in cooperation with the European Geoid and Gravity Project (EGGP), is developing a homogeneous continental GPS/leveling database. EUVN_DA, the Densification Action of the EUVN (European Unified Vertical Reference Network) project is designed to support the development of the new European geoid solutions and to contribute to the realization of an accurate continental height reference surface. The cm-accuracy GPS/leveling database could also be used for the realization of the European Vertical Reference System (EVRS) and for the analysis of the national height networks.
The establishment of the EUVN_DA network was started in 2003. The database now consists of about 1,500 high quality GPS/leveling points contributed from 25 countries. The GPS coordinates refer to the realizations of the ETRS89 and the leveling data to EVRS2007. Most of the EUVN_DA benchmarks are integrated into the UELN (United European Leveling Network) to assure the long term homogeneity and consistency of the height information. The GPS database mostly relies on existing measurements which fulfilled pre-defined quality requirements. The main phase of the project terminates by the end of 2008, but the periodic maintenance of the database is planned on long term.
This paper summarizes the activities within the EUVN_DA project, gives an overview on the actual status and presents the results on the analysis of the continental geoid solutions.
KeywordsGPS/leveling Geoid Reference network EUREF Geoid evaluation
The authors are expressing their thanks to all institutions, mapping agencies and persons who made measurements and provided GPS and leveling data to EUVN_DA. Without their extensive support, the project could not be run successfully. The plots have been created using the GMT software tools (Wessel and Smith, 1998).
- Ågren, J. and R. Svensson (2006). Land uplift model and system definition used for the RH2000 adjustment of the Baltic Levelling Ring. Pres. Paper, 15th General Meeting of the Nordic Geodetic Comm., Copenhagen, May 29–June 2, 2006.Google Scholar
- Denker, H. and W. Torge (1997). The European gravimetric quasigeoid EGG97 – An IAG supported continental enterprise. In: IAG Symposium Proceedings IAG Scient. Assembly Rio de Janeiro, 1997. Springer Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Denker, H., J.P. Barriot, –R. Barzaghi, –D. Fairhead, R. Forsberg, –J. Ihde, –A. Kenyeres, –U. Marti, –M. Sarrailh, and –I.N. Tziavos (2007). Development of the European Gravimetric Geoid Model EGG07. Paper presented at the IUGG XXIV General Assembly, 2–13 July, 2007, Perugia, Italy.Google Scholar
- Edge, R.C.A. (1959). Some considerations arising from the results of the Second and Third Geodetic Levelings of England and Wales. Bulletin Geodesique, No.52, pp.28–36.Google Scholar
- Ihde, J., J. Ádám, W. Gurtner, B.G. Harsson, M. Sacher, W. Schlüter, and G. Wöppelman (2000). The EUVN height solution – Report of the EUVN working group. Proceedings of the EUREF2000 Symposium, Tromsø, Norway, 22–24 June, 2000. Veröffentlichungen der Bayerischen Kommission für die Internationale Erdmessung der BAW, Heft Nr. 61, pp. 132–145.Google Scholar
- Kenyeres, A., M. Sacher, J. Ihde, H. Denker, and U. Marti (2006). Establishment of the European continental GPS/leveling network. Proceedings of the 1st Int. Symposium of the IGFS, 28 August–01 September, 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 124–129.Google Scholar
- Rebischung, P., F. Duquenne, and H. Duquenne (2008). The new French zero-order leveling network – First global results and possible consequences for the UELN. Paper presented at the EUREF2008 symposium, 18–20 June, 2008, Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- Sacher, M., J. Ihde, G. Liebsch, and J. Makinen (2008). EVRF07 as Realization of the European vertical reference System. Paper presented at the EUREF2008 symposium, 18–20 June, 2008, Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar