Visual Pattern Analysis in Histopathology Images Using Bag of Features
This paper presents a framework to analyse visual patterns in a collection of medical images in a two stage procedure. First, a set of representative visual patterns from the image collection is obtained by constructing a visual-word dictionary under a bag-of-features approach. Second, an analysis of the relationships between visual patterns and semantic concepts in the image collection is performed. The most important visual patterns for each semantic concept are identified using correlation analysis. A matrix visualization of the structure and organization of the image collection is generated using a cluster analysis. The experimental evaluation was conducted on a histopathology image collection and results showed clear relationships between visual patterns and semantic concepts, that in addition, are of easy interpretation and understanding.
KeywordsBasal Cell Carcinoma Visual Word Visual Pattern Semantic Concept Cystic Change
- 1.Caicedo, J.C., Cruz, A., Gonzalez, F.: Histopathology image classification using bag of features and kernel functions. In: Combi, C., Shahai, Y., Abu-Hanna, A. (eds.) Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIME 2009). LNCS (LNAI), vol. 5651, pp. 126–135. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Csurka, G., Dance, C.R., Fan, L., Willamowski, J., Bray, C.: Visual categorization with bags of keypoints. In: Workshop on Statistical Learning in Computer Vision (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Iakovidis, D., Pelekis, N., Kotsifakos, E., Kopanakis, I., Karanikas, H., Theodoridis, Y.: A pattern similarity scheme for medical image retrieval. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Orabona, F., Caputo, B., Tommasi, T.: Clef 2007 image annotation task: An svm - based cue integration approach. In: Working Notes of the 2007 CLEF Workshop, Budapest, Hungary (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, G., Yu, X., Zhuang, X.: The current status and development of pattern recognition diagnostic methods based on medical imaging. In: IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, 2008. ICNSC 2008, pp. 567–572 (2008)Google Scholar