Radial Side Tear of the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex
- 934 Downloads
Distal radius fracture induces various soft tissue disruptions. Radial tear of the triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) is a typical soft tissue injury associated with the distal radius fracture. The radial tear of the TFCC includes fibrocartilage central tear and dorsal or palmar rim tear; the latter two may induce distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) instability . Intrafibrocartilage tear of the TFC may not be associated with DRUJ instability. When the DRUJ indicates severe instability in the radial tear of the TFCC, the rim area must be repaired, as opposed to the tear inside the fibrocartilage area which just needs arthroscopic partial resection.
KeywordsDistal Radius Fracture Avulsion Fracture Ulnar Collateral Ligament Radial Side Extensor Carpus Ulnaris
The author appreciates Dr Yasushi Morisawa with his help.
- 1.Cooney W, Linscheid R, Dobyns J. Triangular fibrocartilage tears. J Hand Surg. 1994;19A:143–54Google Scholar
- 3.Kihara H, Short WH, Werner FW, et al. The stabilizing mechanism of the distal radioulnar joint during pronation and supination. J Hand Surg. 1995;11A:798–804Google Scholar
- 4.Morisawa Y, Nakamura T, Tazaki K. Dorsoradial avulsion of the triangular fibrocartilage complex with an avulsion fracture of the sigmoid notch of the radius. J Hand Surg. 2007; 32E:705–8Google Scholar
- 5.Moritomo H, Murase T, Arimitsu S, et al. Changes in length of the ulnocarpal ligaments during radiocarpal motion: possible impact on triangular fibrocartilage complex foveal tears. J Hand Surg. 2008;33A:1278–86Google Scholar
- 7.Nakamura T, Yabe Y, Horiuchi Y. Functional anatomy of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Hand Surg. 1996;21B: 581–6Google Scholar
- 8.Nakamura T, Yabe Y, Horiuchi Y. Dynamic changes in the shape of the triangular fibrocartilage complex during rotation demonstrated with high resolution magnetic resonance imaging. J Hand Surg. 1999;24B:338–41Google Scholar
- 9.Nakamura T, Yabe Y, Horiuchi Y. Origins and insertions of the triangular fibrocartilage complex: a histological study. J Hand Surg. 2001;26B:446–54Google Scholar
- 10.Palmer AK. Triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions: a classification. J Hand Surg. 1989;14A:594–606Google Scholar
- 11.Palmer AK, Werner FW. The triangular fibrocartilage complex of the wrist – anatomy and function. J Hand Surg. 1981; 6:153–62Google Scholar
- 12.Skahen JR, Palmer AK, Levinsohn EM, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Hand Surg. 1990;15A:552–7Google Scholar
- 13.Trumble TE, Gilbert M, Vedder N. Isolated tears of the triangular fibrocartilage: management by early arthroscopic repair. J Hand Surg. 1997;22A:57–65Google Scholar