Performance Evaluation of TEWA Systems for Improved Decision Support
- 647 Downloads
In air defense situations, decision makers have to protect defended assets through assigning available firing units to threatening targets in real-time. To their help they have decision support systems known as threat evaluation and weapon allocation (TEWA) systems. The problem of performance evaluation of such systems is of great importance, due to their critical role. Despite this, research on this problem is close to non-existing. We are discussing the use of survivability and resource usage cost as comparative performance metrics, which can be used for comparing the effectiveness of different system configurations, by using simulations. These metrics have been implemented into a testbed, in which we have performed some comparative experiments. Our results show that changes of individual parts of the threat evaluation and weapon allocation system configuration can have a large effect on the effectiveness of the system as a whole, and illustrate how the metrics and the testbed can be used.
KeywordsPerformance evaluation testbed TEWA threat evaluation weapon allocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Roux, J.N., van Vuuren, J.H.: Threat evaluation and weapon assignment decision support: A review of the state of the art. ORiON 23, 151–186 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Johansson, F., Falkman, G.: A testbed based on survivability for comparing threat evaluation algorithms. In: Proceedings of the SPIE Symposium on Defense, Security and Sensing (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Jorgensen, C.C., Strub, M.H.: Analysis of manual threat evaluation and weapons assignment (TEWA), in the AN/TSQ-73 air defense system. Technical Report TR 419, U.S. Army, Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences (October 1979)Google Scholar
- 4.Defense Science Board Task Force: Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Patriot System Performance: Report Summary. United States Department of Defense (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, Z.J., Lee, C.Y.: A hybrid search algorithm with heuristics for resource allocation problem. Inf. Sci. Inf. Comput. Sci. 173(1-3), 155–167 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Chapman, S.J., Benke, K.K.: Assessment of ship air defence performance by modelling and simulation. In: Proceedings of the Simulation Technology and Training Conference, SimTecT 2000 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Roux, J.N., van Vuuren, J.: Real-time threat evaluation in a ground based air defence environment. ORiON 24(1), 75–101 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Johansson, F., Falkman, G.: A Bayesian network approach to threat evaluation with application to an air defense scenario. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Information Fusion (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Hosein, P.A.: A class of dynamic nonlinear resource allocation problems. PhD thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Torra, V., Narukawa, Y.: Modeling Decisions: Information Fusion and Aggregation Operators. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar