Virtual Cultural Tour Personalization by Means of an Adaptive E-Learning System: A Case Study
Visiting a real or virtual museum or an archaeological site can be a hard task, especially in case of large sites provided with many works of art or ancient ruins. For this reason most historical sites provide guided tours, to improve visitors satisfaction and interest. In this work we explore the use of an e-learning environment, called Lecomps5, to provide museums or other cultural sites with the capability of automatically planning personalized tours, according to visitors needs and interests. Lecomps5 allows a domain expert, through a suitable GUI, to build a pool of learning components concerning a given site. Then the system, by means of an embedded planner, generates a personalized tour through the works of art, on the basis of the visitor’s artistic interests and needs. We propose a first application of this system to an ancient archaeological site called Lucus Feroniae, showing how an e-learning platform can be successfully used for guiding visitors as well.
KeywordsLearn Object Domain Expert Archaeological Site Learning Style Linear Temporal Logic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bordoni, L., Pasqualini, L., Sciarrone, F.: Chem: A system for the automatic analysis of e-mails in the restoration and conservation domain. In: LREC 2004: Language and Resource Evaluation Conference, Lisboa (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Colagrossi, A., Sciarrone, F., Seccaroni, C.: A methodology for automating the classification of works of art using neural networks. Leonardo, Journal of the International Society for the Arts Sciences and Technology 36(1), 69 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Felder, R.M., Silverman, L.K.: Learning and teaching styles in engineering education. Engineering Education 78(7), 674 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Limongelli, C., Sterbini, A., Temperini, M.: Automated course configuration based on automated planning: framework and first experiments. In: Chiazzese, G., et al. (eds.) Methods and Technologies for Learning, Proc. ICMTL 2005, WIT Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Limongelli, C., Sciarrone, F., Vaste, G., Temperini, M.: Lecomps5: A web-based learning system for course personalization and adaptation. In: IADIS International Conference e-Learning 2008, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Limongelli, C., Sciarrone, F., Temperini, M., Vaste, G.: Lecomps5: a framework for the automatic building of personalized learning sequences. In: Lytras, M.D., Carroll, J.M., Damiani, E., Tennyson, R.D. (eds.) WSKS 2008. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 5288, pp. 296–303. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar