On the Development of Web-Based Argumentative Collaboration Support Systems
Advanced argumentative collaboration support systems can rarely be found in today’s World Wide Web. This can be partially justified by the fact that the current Web environment - its users and available data - differs significantly from the environments in which these systems were traditionally developed and used. Efforts to bring such systems to the Web must carefully consider how these need to change in order to be effective in the new environment. In this paper, we present how such concerns have been addressed in CoPe_it!, a tool that supports argumentative collaboration on the Web. Preliminary evaluation results show that the tool succeeds in meeting the challenges of today’s Web environment without compromising its effectiveness.
Keywordsargumentative collaboration incremental formalization Web-based systems CoPe_it!
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buckingham Shum, S.: Cohere: Towards Web 2.0 Argumentation. In: Proceedings of COMMA 2008, Toulouse, France, May 28-30, pp. 97–108 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Walker, J.: Feral Hypertext: when Hypertext Literature Escapes Control. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, Salzburg, Austria, September 06 – 09 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Grudin, J.: Evaluating Opportunities for Design Capture. In: Moran, T.P., Carroll, J.M. (eds.) Design Rationale: Concepts, Techniques and Use. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Hurwitz, R., Mallery, J.C.: The Open Meeting: A Web-Based System for Conferencing and Collaboration. In: Proceedings of the 4th International World Wide Web Conference, Boston, MA, December 11-14 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Buckingham Shum, S.: Design Argumentation as Design Rationale, The Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology, pp. 95–128. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Nam, K., Ackerman, M.S.: Arkose: Reusing Informal Information from Online Discussions. In: Proceedings of the 2007 international ACM conference on Supporting Group Work, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA, November 04-07 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Hevner, A.R., March, S.T., Park, J., Ram, S.: Design Science in Information Systems Research. MIS Quarterly 28(1), 75–105 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.: Karacapilidis, N., Tzagarakis, M., Karousos, N., Gkotsis, G., Kallistros, V., Christodoulou, S., Nousia, D., Mettouris, C., Kyriakou, P.: CoPe_it! - Supporting collaboration, enhancing learning. In: Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Information Resources Management (Conf-IRM 2009), Dubai, UAE, May 21-23 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Marshall, C., Shipman, F.M.: Spatial Hypertext and the Practice of Information Triage. In: Proc. 8th ACM Conference on Hypertext, pp. 124–133 (1997)Google Scholar