Query Types and Visual Concept-Based Post-retrieval Clustering
In the photo retrieval task of ImageCLEF 2008, we examined the influence of image representations, clustering methods, and query types in enhancing result diversity. Two types of visual concept vectors and hierarchical and partitioning clustering as post-retrieval clustering methods were compared. We used the title fields in the search topics, and either only the title field or both the title and description fields of the annotations were in English. The experimental results showed that one type of visual concept representation dominated the other except under one condition. Also, it was found that hierarchical clustering can enhance instance recall while preserving the precision when the threshold parameters are appropriately set. In contrast, partitioning clustering degraded the results. We also categorized the queries into geographical and non-geographical, and found that the geographical queries are relatively easy in terms of the precision of retrieval results and post-retrieval clustering also works better for them.
KeywordsRetrieval Model Retrieval Result Image Annotation Cluster Criterion Query Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arni, T., Clough, P., Sanderson, M., Grubinger, M.: Overview of the ImageCLEFphoto 2008 photographic retrieval task. In: Peters, C., et al. (eds.) CLEF 2008. LNCS, vol. 5706, pp. 500–511. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Deselaers, T., Keysers, D., Ney, H.: Discriminative training for object recognition using image patches. In: CVPR, San Diego, CA, USA, June 2005, vol. 2, pp. 157–162 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Deselaers, T., Hanbury, A.: The visual concept detection task in ImageCLEF 2008. In: Peters, C., et al. (eds.) CLEF 2008. LNCS, vol. 5706, pp. 531–538. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Inoue, M.: Mining visual knowledge for multi-lingual image retrieval. In: DMIR 2007, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, May 21-23, vol. 1, pp. 307–312 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Inoue, M., Grover, P.: Effects of visual concept-based post-retrieval clustering in ImageCLEFphoto 2008. In: 9th Workshop of the Cross-Language Evaluation Forum (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Perronin, F., Dance, C.: Fisher kernels on visual vocabularies for image categorization. In: CVPR, Minneapolis, Minnesota, US, June 18-23 (2007)Google Scholar