Overview of the ImageCLEFmed 2008 Medical Image Retrieval Task
The medical image retrieval task of ImageCLEF is in its fifth year and participation continues to increase to a total of 37 registered research groups. About half the registered groups finally submit results. Main change in 2008 was the use of a new databases containing images of the medical scientific literature (articles from the Journals Radiology and Radiographics). Besides the images, the figure captions and the part of the caption referring to a particular sub–figure were supplied as well as access to the full text articles in html. All texts were in English and the topics were supplied in German, French, and English. 30 topics were made available, ten of each of the categories visual, mixed, semantic.
Most groups concentrated on fully automatic retrieval. Only three groups submitted a total of six manual or interactive runs not showing an increase of performance over automatic approaches. In previous years, multi–modal combinations were the most frequent submissions but in 2008 text only runs were clearly higher. Only very few fully visual runs were submitted and non of the fully visual runs had an extremely good performance. Part of these tendencies might be due to semantic topics and the extremely well annotated database. Best results regarding MAP were similar for textual and multi–modal approaches whereas early precision was better for some multi–modal approaches.
KeywordsMerkel Cell Carcinoma Relevant Image Textual Retrieval Query Topic Semantic Topic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clough, P., Grubinger, M., Deselaers, T., Hanbury, A., Müller, H.: Overview of the ImageCLEF 2006 photo retrieval and object annotation tasks. In: Peters, C., Clough, P., Gey, F.C., Karlgren, J., Magnini, B., Oard, D.W., de Rijke, M., Stempfhuber, M. (eds.) CLEF 2006. LNCS, vol. 4730, pp. 579–594. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Müller, H., Deselaers, T., Kim, E., Kalpathy-Cramer, J., Deserno, T.M., Clough, P., Hersh, W.: Overview of the ImageCLEFmed 2007 medical retrieval and annotation tasks. In: Peters, C., Jijkoun, V., Mandl, T., Müller, H., Oard, D.W., Peñas, A., Petras, V., Santos, D. (eds.) CLEF 2007. LNCS, vol. 5152, pp. 472–491. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hersh, W., Müller, H., Jensen, J., Yang, J., Gorman, P., Ruch, P.: Advancing biomedical image retrieval: Development and analysis of a test collection. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 488–496 (September/October 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Hersh, W., Müller, H., Kalpathy-Cramer, J.: The imageclefmed medical image retrieval task test collection. Journal of Digital Imaging (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Zobel, J.: How reliable are the results of large–scale information retrieval experiments? In: Croft, W.B., Moffat, A., van Rijsbergen, C.J., Wilkinson, R., Zobel, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the 21st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 307–314. ACM Press, New York (1998)Google Scholar