Overview of the Clef 2008 Multilingual Question Answering Track
The QA campaign at CLEF 2008 , was mainly the same as that proposed last year. The results and the analyses reported by last year’s participants suggested that the changes introduced in the previous campaign had led to a drop in systems’ performance. So for this year’s competition it has been decided to practically replicate last year’s exercise. Following last year’s experience some QA pairs were grouped in clusters. Every cluster was characterized by a topic (not given to participants). The questions from a cluster contained co-references between one of them and the others. Moreover, as last year, the systems were given the possibility to search for answers in Wikipedia as document corpus beside the usual newswire collection. In addition to the main task, three additional exercises were offered, namely the Answer Validation Exercise (AVE), the Question Answering on Speech Transcriptions (QAST), which continued last year’s successful pilots, together with the new Word Sense Disambiguation for Question Answering (QA-WSD). As general remark, it must be said that the main task still proved to be very challenging for participating systems. As a kind of shallow comparison with last year’s results the best overall accuracy dropped significantly from 42% to 19% in the multi-lingual subtasks, but increased a little in the monolingual sub-tasks, going from 54% to 63%.
KeywordsCorrect Answer Target Language Document Collection Question Answering Word Sense Disambiguation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.QA@CLEF Website, http://clef-qa.itc.it/
- 2.AVE Website, http://nlp.uned.es/QA/ave/
- 3.QAST Website, http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~qast/
- 4.QA-WSD Website, http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/qawsd/
- 5.QA@CLEF 2007. Guidelines (2007), http://clef-qa.itc.it/2007/download/QACLEF07_Guidelines-for-Participants.pdf
- 6.Hartrumpf, S., Glöckner, I., Leveling, J.: University of Hagen at QA@CLEF 2007: Coreference Resolution for Questions and Answer Merging. In: Peters, C., et al. (eds.) CLEF 2008. LNCS, vol. 5706. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Magnini, B., Giampiccolo, D., Forner, P., Ayache, C., Jijkoun, V., Osenova, P., Peñas, A., Rocha, P., Sacaleanu, B., Sutcliffe, R.: Overview of the CLEF 2006 Multilingual Question Answering Track. In: Peters, C., Clough, P., Gey, F.C., Karlgren, J., Magnini, B., Oard, D.W., de Rijke, M., Stempfhuber, M. (eds.) CLEF 2006. LNCS, vol. 4730, pp. 223–256. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Vallin, A., Magnini, B., Giampiccolo, D., Aunimo, L., Ayache, C., Osenova, P., Peñas, A., de Rijke, M., Sacaleanu, B., Santos, D., Sutcliffe, R.: Overview of the CLEF 2005 Multilingual Question Answering Track. In: Peters, C., Gey, F.C., Gonzalo, J., Müller, H., Jones, G.J.F., Kluck, M., Magnini, B., de Rijke, M., Giampiccolo, D. (eds.) CLEF 2005. LNCS, vol. 4022, pp. 307–331. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Voorhees, E.: Overview of the TREC 2002 Question Answering Track. In: NIST Special Publication 500-251: The Eleventh Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2002). National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Agirre, E., Lopez de Lacalle, O.: UBC-ALM: Combining k-NN with SVD for WSD. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (SemEval 2007), Prague, Czech Republic, pp. 341–345 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Chan, Y.S., Ng, H.T., Zhong, Z.: NUS-PT: Exploiting Parallel Texts for Word Sense Disambiguation in the English All-Words Tasks. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (SemEval 2007), Prague, Czech Republic, pp. 253–256 (2007)Google Scholar