Cross-Lingual Image Retrieval Interactions Based on a Game Competition
This is the first year of participation of the University of Padua in the interactive CLEF track. A group of students of Linguistics at the Faculty of Humanities were asked to participate in the experiment. The interaction of the user with a cross-lingual system, the solutions they find for a given task, and the tools that a system should provide in order to assist the user in the task are studied by means of questionnaire analysis together with some log analysis. Interesting insights and results emerged and can be summarized with the following points: the hardest obstacle in finding the given image are the size of the set of images retrieved, the difficulty in describing the image, and finding suitable keywords in one or more languages.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Artiles, J., Barker, E., Clough, P., Gonzalo, J., Karlgren, J., Peinado, V.: Large-scale interactive evaluation of multilingual information access systems - the iCLEF flickr challenge. In: Workshop on Novel Methodologies for Evaluation in Information Retrieval (30th European Conference for Information Retrieval (ECIR 2008), Glasgow (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalo, J., Clough, P., Karlgren, J.: Overview of iCLEF 2008: Search Log Analysis for Multilingual Image Retrieval. In: Peters, C., et al. (eds.) CLEF 2008. LNCS, vol. 5706, pp. 227–235. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Peinado, V., Artiles, J., Gonzalo, J., Barker, E., López-Ostenero, F.: Flickling: a multilingual search interface for flickr. In: Borri, F., Peters, C. (eds.) Cross Language Evaluation Forum (CLEF 2008) Workshop Notes, Aarhus (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Karlgren, J.: SICS at iCLEF 2008: User confidence and satisfaction inferred from iCLEF logs. In: Working Notes for the CLEF 2008 Workshop, Aarhus (September 2008), http://www.clef-campaign.org/2008/working_notes/karlgren-paperCLEF2008.pdf
- 5.Di Nunzio, G.M.: “Interactive” Undergraduate Students: UNIPD at iCLEF 2008. In: Working Notes for the CLEF 2008 Workshop, Aarhus (September 2008), http://www.clef-campaign.org/2008/working_notes/CLEF2008WN-Contents.html