Crosslanguage Retrieval Based on Wikipedia Statistics
In this paper we present the methodology, implementations and evaluation results of the crosslanguage retrieval system we have developed for the Robust WSD Task at CLEF 2008. Our system is based on query preprocessing for translation and homogenisation of queries. The presented preprocessing of queries includes two stages: Firstly, a query translation step based on term statistics of cooccuring articles in Wikipedia. Secondly, different disjunct query composition techniques to search in the CLEF corpus. We apply the same preprocessing steps for the monolingual as well as the crosslingual task and thereby acting fair and in a similar way across these tasks. The evaluation revealed that the similar processing comes at nearly no costs for monolingual retrieval but enables us to do crosslanguage retrieval and also a feasible comparison of our system performance on these two tasks.
KeywordsQuery Processing Query Term Word Sense Disambiguation Query Translation Boolean Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agiree, E., de Lacall, O.L.: UBC-ALM: Combining k-NN with SVD for WSD. In: Proc. of the 4th Int. Workshop on Semantic Evaluations, pp. 341–345 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Agirre, E., Giorgio, M., Di Nunzio, Ferro, N., Mandl, T., Peters, C.: Clef 2008: Ad hoc track overview (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Chang, Y., Ng, H.T., Zhong, Z.: NUS-PT: Exploiting parallel texts for word sense disambiguation in the english all-words tasks. In: Proc. of the 4th Int. Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Juffinger, A., Kern, R., Granitzer, M.: Exploiting cooccurrence on corpus and document level for fair crosslanguage retrieval. In: Working Notes for the CLEF 2008 Workshop, Aarhus, Denmark, September 17-19 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Miller, G.: Wordnet: A lexical database for english. Comm. ACM (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Robertson, S., Zaragoza, H., Taylor, M.: Simple bm25 extension to multiple weighted fields. In: Proc. of the 13th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Salton, G., Buckley, C.: Term-weighting approaches in automatic text retrieval. Information Processing and Management (1988)Google Scholar