Fusion of Retrieval Models at CLEF 2008 Ad Hoc Persian Track
Metasearch engines submit the user query to several underlying search engines and then merge their retrieved results to generate a single list that is more effective to the users’ information needs. According to the idea behind metasearch engines, it seems that merging the results retrieved from different retrieval models will improve the search coverage and precision. In this study, we have investigated the effect of fusion of different retrieval techniques on the performance of Persian retrieval. We use an extension of Ordered Weighted Average (OWA) operator called IOWA and a weighting schema, NOWA for merging the results. Our experimental results show that merging by OWA operators produces better MAP.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval Information Fusion Persian Text Retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agirre, E., Di Nunzio, G.M., Ferro, N., Mandl, T., Peters, C.: Multilingual Textual Document Retrieval (Ad Hoc). In: Evaluating Systems for Multilingual and Multimodal Information Access 9th Workshop of the Cross-Language Evaluation Forum, CLEF 2008, Aarhus, Denmark (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hamshahri Corpus, http://ece.ut.ac.ir/dbrg/hamshahri
- 4.Terrier Information Retrieval Platform, http://ir.dcs.gla.ac.uk/terrier
- 8.Min, D., Xu-rui, Z., Yun-xiang, C.: A Note on OWA Operator Based on the Normal Distribution. In: International Conference on Management Science and Engineering, pp. 537–542 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Amiri, H., AleAhmad, A., Oroumchian, F., Lucas, C., Rahgozar, M.: Using OWA Fuzzy Operator to Merge Retrieval System Results. In: The Second Workshop on Computational Approaches to Arabic Script-based Languages, Stanford University, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.INDRI - Language modeling meets inference networks, http://www.lemurproject.org/indri