Business Process Management (BPM) is an established management discipline. Since today’s organizations expect every employee to think and act like an entrepreneur, i.e., like a manager, BPM is also increasingly becoming part of everyday operations. But merely adopting a process-based approach across the enterprise is not enough to enable BPM at every level. What is needed is a combination of organizational forms and technologies that support distributed BPM initiatives while simultaneously consolidating them company-wide. Every employee must be empowered to model and optimize their own processes. At the same time, the entire BPM community needs a platform that brings together all the individual initiatives. This is the only way to leverage the full potential of process-oriented management. In the following article, the authors describe the trends in BPM development that are turning users into process managers and supporting the creation of a BPM community.
KeywordsBusiness Process Management Governance Community Crowdsourcing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Davis, R., Brabänder, E.: ARIS Design Platform – Getting Started with BPM. Springer, London (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Tapscott, D., Williams, A.D.: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything, Portfolio, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Wagner J.: BPM in the Web 2.0 era, http://www.arisblog.com/2009/03/30/bpm-in-the-web-20-era/
- 4.Howe, J.: Crowdsourcing: How the Power of the Crowd is Driving the Future of Business. Crown Business, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.TM Forum, http://www.tmforum.org/browse.aspx
- 6.IDS Scheer, http://www.ariscampus.com/community/research
- 7.Van Lessen, T., Wetzstein, B., Nitzsche, J., Ma, Z., Karastoyanova, D., Leymann, F.: Geschäftsprozessmanagement Meets Semantic Web, Stuttgart, http://www.taval.de/INPROC-2007-60%20BPMmeetsSW.pdf
- 8.Stein, S., Stamber, C.: Semantic Business Process Management. In: Kuropka, D., Tröger, P., Staab, S., Weske, M. (eds.) Semantic Service Provisioning, pp. 127–143. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar