Foundations of Optical Encryption: Formal Modeling and Achieving Shannon Secrecy
Motivated by the recent emergence of ultra-high speed (e.g., 100Gb/s) optical networks, some researchers have recently started the study of optical encryption techniques that offer secrecy of information transfer over such networks. Despite significant attention to this problem, we are not aware of attempts made to define a formal cryptographic model for the study of such schemes. In this paper we fill this gap by proposing a formal model for the investigation of symmetric encryption with Shannon secrecy over a specific type of optical networks frequently studied in the related literature, where the security is imparted through all-optical signal processing. This model is then used to formally prove the Shannon secrecy of a construction obtained by carefully combining and improving ideas appeared in the optical network literature. In our construction the key stream rate is the same as the data stream rate, which is optimal for this level of security.
KeywordsData Stream Encryption Scheme Hadamard Matrix Optical Encryption Optical Code Division Multiple Access
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellovin, S., Blaze, M.: Cryptographic Modes of Operation for the Internet. In: 2nd NIST Workshop on Modes of Operation (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Di Crescenzo, G., Menendez, R., Etemad, S.: OCDM-based Photonic Encryption with Provable Security Guarantees. In: Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communication and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, OFC/NFOEC (February 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Goldberg, S., Menendez, R., Prucnal, P.: Towards a Cryptanalysis of Spectral-Phase Encoded OCDMA with Phase-Scrambling. In: Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communication and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, OFC/NFOEC (April 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Goldberg, S.: Towards a Cryptanalysis of Spectral-Phase Encoded OCDMA with Phase-Scrambling. TR-771-06. Princeton University, Princeton (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Prucnal, P. (ed.): Optical Code Division Multiple Access: Fundamentals and Applications. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Toliver, T., Agarwal, A., Banwell, T., Menendez, R., Jackel, J., Etemad, S.: Demonstration of High Spectral Efficiency Coherent OCDM using DQPSK, FEC, and Integrated Ring Resonator-based Spectral Phase Encoder/Decoders. In: Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communication and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, OFC/NFOEC 2007 (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Vernam, G.: Secret Signaling Systems. United States Patent (July 1919)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, Z., Huang, Y., Deng, Y., Chang, J., Prucnal, P.: Optical Encryption with OCDMA Code Swapping Using All-Optical XOR Logic Gate. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 21(7) (April 2009)Google Scholar