An Adaptive Tone Mapping Algorithm for High Dynamic Range Images
Real world scenes contain a large range of light intensities which range from dim starlight to bright sunlight. A common task of tone mapping algorithms is to reproduce high dynamic range(HDR) images on low dynamic range(LDR) display devices such as printers and monitors. In this paper, a new tone mapping algorithm is proposed for the display of HDR images. Inspired by the adaptive process of the human visual system, the proposed algorithm utilized the center-surround Retinex processing. The novelty of our method is that the local details are enhanced according to a non-linear adaptive spatial filter (Gaussian filter), whose shape is adapted to high-contrast edges of the image. The proposed method uses an adaptive surround instead of the traditional pre-defined circular. Therefore, the algorithm can preserve visibility and contrast impression of high dynamic range scenes in the common display devices. The proposed method is tested on a variety of HDR images, and we also compare it to previous work. The results show good performance of our method in terms of visual quality.
KeywordsTone mapping retinex high dynamic range Hilbert scan Gaussian filter
- 1.Debevec, P.E., Malik, J.: Recovering high dynamic range radiance maps from photograhs. In: SIGGRAPH 1997, pp. 369–378 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Seetzen, H., Whitehead, L.A., Ward, G.: A high dynamic range display using low and high resolution modulators. In: The Society for Information Display International Symposium (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Reihhard, E., Stark, M., Shirley, P., Ferwerda, J.: Photographic Tone Reproduction for Digital Images. ACM Trans. on Graphics 21(3), 267–276 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Devlin, K.: A review of tone reproduction techniques. Computer Science, University of Bristol, Tech. Rep. CSTR-02-005 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Qiu, G., Duan, J.: An optimal tone reproduction curve operator for the display of high dynamic range Images. In: IEEE ISCAS 2005, No. 6, pp. 6276–6279 (2005)Google Scholar