Realizing FIFO Communication When Mapping Kahn Process Networks onto the Cell
- 614 Downloads
Kahn Process Networks (KPN) are an appealing model of computation to specify streaming applications. When a KPN has to execute on a multi-processor platform, a mapping of the KPN model to the execution platform model should mitigate all possible overhead introduced by the mismatch between primitives realizing the communication semantics of the two models. In this paper, we consider mappings of KPN specification of streaming applications onto the Cell BE multi-processor execution platform. In particular, we investigate how to realize the FIFO communication of a KPN onto the Cell BE in order to reduce the synchronization overhead. We present a solution based on token packetization and show the performance results of five different streaming applications mapped onto the Cell BE.
KeywordsModels of Computation Kahn Process Networks distributed FIFO communication the Cell BE platform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wolf, W., Jerraya, A.A., Martin, G.: Miltiprocessor System-on-chip (mpsoc) Technology. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Desing of Integrated Circuits and Systems 27(10) (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Meijer, S., Kienhuis, B., Walters, J., Snuijf, D.: Automatic partitioning and mapping of stream-based applications onto the intel ixp network processor. In: SCOPES 2007: Proceedings of the 10th international workshop on Software & compilers for embedded systems, pp. 23–30. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, X.D., Li, Q.J., Rabbah, R., Amarasinghe, S.: A lightweight streaming layer for multicore executionGoogle Scholar
- 8.Pakin, S.: Receiver-initiated message passing over rdma networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 2008. IPDPS 2008, pp. 1–12 (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Verdoolaege, S., Nikolov, H., Stefanov, T.: pn: a tool for improved derivation of process networks. EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, Special Issue on Embedded Digital Signal Processing Systems 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Kienhuis, B., Rijpkema, E., Deprettere, E.F.: Compaan: Deriving Process Networks from Matlab for Embedded Signal Processing Architectures. In: Proc. 8th International Workshop on Hardware/Software Codesign (CODES 2000), San Diego, CA, USA, May 3-5 (2000)Google Scholar