Self-assembly of Discrete Self-similar Fractals
- 1.6k Downloads
In this paper, we search for absolute limitations of the Tile Assembly Model (TAM), along with techniques to work around such limitations. Specifically, we investigate the self-assembly of fractal shapes in the TAM. We prove that no self-similar fractal fully weakly self-assembles at temperature 1, and that certain kinds of self-similar fractals do not strictly self-assemble at any temperature. Additionally, we extend the fiber construction from Lathrop et. al. (2007) to show that any self-similar fractal belonging to a particular class of “nice” self-similar fractals has a fibered version that strictly self-assembles in the TAM.
KeywordsAssembly Sequence Impossibility Result Tile Type Grid Graph Fractal Shape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aggarwal, G., Goldwasser, M.H., Kau, M.-Y., Schweller, R.T.: Complexities for generalized models of self-assembly. In: Proceedings of ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Cheng, Q., Goel, A., de Espanés, P.M.: Optimal self-assembly of counters at temperature two. In: Proceedings of the First Conference on Foundations of Nanoscience: Self-assembled Architectures and Devices (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Kao, M.-Y., Schweller, R.: Reducing tile complexity for self-assembly through temperature programming. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2006), Miami, Florida, pp. 571–580 (January 2006) (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Rothemund, P.W.K.: Theory and experiments in algorithmic self-assembly, Ph.D. thesis, University of Southern California (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Rothemund, P.W.K., Winfree, E.: The program-size complexity of self-assembled squares (extended abstract). In: Proceedings of the Thirty-Second Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 459–468 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, H.: Dominoes and the AEA case of the decision problem. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Automata (New York, 1962), pp. 23–55. Polytechnic Press of Polytechnic Inst. of Brooklyn, Brooklyn (1963)Google Scholar
- 14.Winfree, E.: Algorithmic self-assembly of DNA, Ph.D. thesis, California Institute of Technology (June 1998)Google Scholar