Influence of Students’ Motivation on Their Experience with E-Learning Systems: An Experimental Study
The use of information technologies to support learning is an important study area for both teaching experts and HCI researchers aiming to produce efficacious e-learning systems allowing teachers, tutors and students to carry out their activities in a satisfactory and enjoyable manner. The system the user will interact with must therefore be designed not only on the basis of the classic usability principles but also of those aspects that affect the overall user experience. Aim of the present study is to see how individual characteristics of cognitive and above all motivational type affect learning while using an e-learning system, and to assess their impact on the overall e-learning user experience.
KeywordsE-learning systems motivation user experience evaluation study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McCarthy, J., Wright, P.: Technology as experience. MIT Press, Massachusetts (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Geven, A., Schrammel, J., Tscheligi, M.: Narrations and storytelling as methodological key elements for studying user experience. In: Workshop on User Experience - Towards a unified view at the NordiCHI 2006, pp. 79–83. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Pellerey, M.: Questionario sulle strategie d’apprendimento. LAS, Italy (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Basili, V.R., Caldiera, G., Rombach, H.D.: The Goal Question Metric approach, encyclopedia of software engineering. Wiley & Sons Inc., Chichester (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Law, E., Roto, V., Vermeeren, A.P., Kort, J., Hassenzahl, M.: Towards a shared definition of user experience. In: CHI 2008, pp. 2395–2398. ACM Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Proceeding of the International Workshop on User Experience - Towards a unified view at the NordiCHI 2006 Conference. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Lanzilotti, R., Montinaro, F.: Un aspetto della “User Experience” con sistemi di e-learning. In: Didamatica 2008, pp. 469–478. Edizioni Giuseppe Laterza, Italy (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Pedrabissi, L., Santinello, M.: I test psicologici. Il Mulino, Italy (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Ioannidou, A., Repenning, A., Webb, D.: Using scalable game design to promote 3D fluency: assessing the AgentCube incremental 3D end-user development framework. In: VLHCC 2008, pp. 47–54. IEEE Press, Germany (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Pragnell, M.V., Roselli, T., Rossano, V.: Can a Hypermedia Cooperative e-Learning Environment Stimulate Constructive Collaboration? Educational Technology & Society 9(2), 119–132 (2006)Google Scholar