Everyone Counts: Voting Accessibility
There are approximately 37.5 million disabled Americans of voting age. Current voting technologies have failed to provide Americans with disabilities a voting system that allows them to vote without assistance. Through the use of natural interaction a voting system called Prime III provides a secure and usable voting system for all voters regardless of ability. Prime III was recently tested at the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind in which a number of Americans with various disabilities had the opportunity to vote. Participants were tasked with casting their vote using Prime III. The results of this study showed that Prime III allowed voters who where blind, and/or hearing impaired the ability to cast their vote without any additional assistance. The participants noted that Prime III was easy to use and trusted the system to successfully cast their vote.
KeywordsE-Voting Universal Access Multi-modal Interfaces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Polls make advances for disabled, http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/westmoreland/s_450778.html
- 2.E-Voting Fans: The Disabled, http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2004/10/65206
- 3.American Foundation for the Blind, http://www.afb.org/
- 4.Section 508 Standards, http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=content&ID=12
- 5.Dolinski, C., Stockfisch, J.: Jennings Files Suit Over Sarasota Vote. Tampa Tribune (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Frisina, L., Herron, M.C., Honaker, J., Lewis, J.B.: Election Law Journal. 7(1), 25–47 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Norden, L., Kimball, D., Quesenbery, W., Chen, M.: Better ballots (2008), http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/better_ballots/
- 8.Cross, E.V., Rogers, G., McClendon, J., Mitchell, W., Rouse, K., Gupta, P., Williams, P., Mkpong-Ruffin, I., McMillian, Y., Neely, E., Lane, J., Blunt, H., Gilbert, J.E.: Prime III: One Machine, One Vote for Everyone. In: VoComp 2007, Portland, OR, July 16 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Gilbert, J.E., McMillian, Y., Rouse, K., Williams, P., Rogers, G., McClendon, J., Mitchell, W., Gupta, P., Mkpong-Ruffin, I., Cross, E.V.: Universal Access in e-Voting for the Blind. Universal Access in the Information Society Journal (2008)Google Scholar