A Flexible Design for Accessible Spoken Math
MathPlayer is a plug-in to Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) and Adobe Acrobat/Reader that renders MathML visually and converts it to textual speech strings. The version under development has a unique architecture that allows multiple styles of speech, easy internationalization/localization, and the generation of a user interface that allows user customization of the words spoken based upon external rule files. It includes many other accessibility features such as individual magnification of expressions, synchronized highlighting of text and speech, and conversion to Braille math codes.
KeywordsPrint Disabilities Visual Impairments Accessibility MathML
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stevens, R.D., Edwards, A.D.N., Harling, P.A.: Access to mathematics for visually disabled students through multi-modal interaction. Human-Computer Interaction (Special issue on Multimodal Interfaces), 47–92 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Raman, T.V.: Audio System for Technical Readings. Cornell University (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Gardner, J., Stewart, R., Francioni, J., Smith, A.: Tiger, Agc, And Win-Triangle, Removing The Barrier To Sem Education. Presented at CSUN International Conference on Technology and Persons with Disabilities, Los Angeles, CA (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Karshmer, A.I., Gupta, G., Pontelli, E., Miesenberger, K., Ammalai, N., Gopal, D., Batusic, M., Stöger, B., Palmer, B., Guo, H.-F.: UMA: a system for universal mathematics accessibility. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers and accessibility, pp. 55–62. ACM Press, Atlanta (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6."Lambda Project", http://www.lambdaproject.org
- 8.Trotter, A.: Math Study Evaluates Digital Aids, in Education Week (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.gh, “MathSpeak" (2004-2006), http://www.gh-mathspeak.com/
- 10.Karshmer, A., Gupta, G., Pontelli, E.: Mathematics and Accessibility: a Survey, www.cs.utdallas.edu/~gupta/mathaccsurvey.pdf
- 11.Pearson, Pearson Invests in New Electronic Delivery, Expands Access to World’s Leading Education Content (2009), http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZdJf