Sensor Disposition Problem in Wireless Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks
In order to monitor for traffic traversal, sensors can be deployed to perform collaborative target detection. Such a sensor network achieves a certain level of detection performance with an associated cost of deployment. This paper addresses two points in this problem where the absolute quantity of sensors is insufficient. The discussion on the best deployment concludes that Zigzag deployment is recommended. The other discussion on measures to evaluate the performances of variant deployments is addressed. The discussion concludes that, in place of the existing “exposure”, a new tool can measure more accurately the detection performance given the circumstance where every deployed sensor operates as a binary model.
Keywordssensor network binary model general model deployment detectability exposure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liu, B., Towsly, D.: A study of the coverage of large-scale sensor networks. In: First IEEE Intrernational Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Systems, pp. 475–483 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, G., Cao, G., LaPorta, T., Zhang, W.: Sensor relocation in mobile sensor networks. IEEE INFOCOM 4, 2302–2312 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Meguerdichian, S., Koushanfar, F., Potkonjak, M., Srivastava, M.B.: Coverage problems in wireless ad-hoc sensor networks. IEEE INFOCOM 3, 1380–1387 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Xing, F., Lu, C., Zhang, Y., Huang, Q., Pless, R.: Minimum power configuration for wireless communication in sensor networks. ACM Trans. on Sensor Networks 3, 200–233 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, G., Cao, G., Porta, T.L.: Movement-assisted sensor deployment. IEEE INFOCOM 4, 2469–2479 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Meguerdician, S., Koushanfar, F., Qu, G., Potkonjak, M.: Exposure in wireless ad-hoc sensor networks. In: MOBICOM, pp. 139–150 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Clouqueur, T., Phipatanasuphorn, V., Ramanathan, P., Saluja, K.K.: Sensor deployment strategy for target detection. In: First ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Application, pp. 42–48 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Zou, Y., Chakrabarty, K.: Sensor deployment and target localization based on virtual forces. IEEE INFOCOM 2, 1293–1303 (2003)Google Scholar