Using a Link Metric to Improve Communication Mechanisms and Real-Time Properties in an Adaptive Middleware for Heterogeneous Sensor Networks
This paper presents middleware mechanisms to support real-time services in heterogeneous sensor networks, focusing on the evaluation of link metrics. Heterogeneous sensor networks require specific QoS (quality of service) guarantees in order to allow the coordination and cooperation among the different nodes that compose the system. In order to improve QoS, one of the first steps is to enhance the usage of the communication links, aiming at a more reliable and efficient message exchange. In this paper, key middleware features to address this concern are presented, in which a focus is given on the use of a link metric that, as part of a protocol, is used to optimize the message forwarding in relay communications across the network. Additionally, preliminary results are also presented.
KeywordsHeterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks QoS enhancement Middleware support mechanisms Link metric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Freitas, E.P., Wehrmeister, M.A., Pereira, C.E., Ferreira, A.M., Larsson, T.: Multi-Agents Supporting Reflection in a Middleware for Mission-Driven Heterogeneous Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of 3rd ATSN, in conjunction with 8th AAMAS (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Object Management Group (OMG). Distribution Service for Real-time Systems (DSS) Specification. Version 1.2 (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Freitas, E.P., Wehrmeister, M.A., Pereira, C.E., Larsson, T.: Real-time Support in Adaptable Middleware for Heterogeneous Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of International Workshop on Real Time Software (RTS 2008), pp. 593–600. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Woo, A., Culler, D.: Evaluation of Efficient Link Reliability Estimators for Low-power. Technical Report, UC Berkeley (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Janacik, P.: Service Distribution in Wireless Sensor Networks. Master’s Thesis, University of Paderborn (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Heinzelman, W., Murphy, A., Carvalho, H., Perillo, M.: Middleware to Support Sensor Network Applications. IEEE Network Magazine Special Issue (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Vanegas, R., Zinky, J., Loyall, J., Karr, D., Schantz, R., Bakken, D.: QuO’s Runtime Support for QoS in Distributed Objects. In: Proc. of Middleware 1998, the IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems Platform and Open Distributed Processing (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Schantz, R.E., Loyall, J.P., Schmidt, D.C., Rodrigues, C., Krishnamurthy, Y., Pyarali, I.: Flexible and Adaptive QoS Control for Distributed Real-time and Embedded Middleware. In: Proc. of 4th Intl Conf. on Distributed Systems Platforms. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar