Energy Analysis of Multimedia Video Streaming on Mobile Devices
Video streaming is a data transfer technology to allow playing back video files via communication networks. In recent years, applications of the video streaming such as online TV have become very popular. However, complex operations of both downloading and replaying of multimedia video files consume a great amount of electric energy, and savvy strategies of power management are necessary for people to enjoy the video streaming on mobile handheld devices operated on batteries with limited capacity. In this paper, we try to find video encoders that are energy efficient. We investigate effects on energy consumption by encoding video files with various codecs, file formats, and encoding parameters, such as the bit rate and resolution. Also investigated are effects on the energy consumption of two replaying modes, i.e. “play after download” and “play as received”.
Keywordscodec energy consumption mobile device video streaming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lahiri, K., Raghunathan, A., Dey, S., Panigrahi, D.: Battery driven system design: a new frontier in low power design. In: Proc. ASP-DAC/VLSI Design 2002, Bangalore, India, pp. 261–267 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Lin, C.-H., Liu, J.-C., Liao, C.-W.: Energy Analysis of Multimedia Video Decoding on Mobile Handheld Devices. In: 2007 International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (MUE 2007), Seoul, Korea, pp. 120–125 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Lin, C.-H., Liu, J.-C., Liao, C.-W.: Energy Consumption Analysis of Audio Applications on Mobile Handheld Devices. In: Proceedings of IEEE TENCON 2007, Intelligent Information Communication Technologies for Better Human Life, Taipei, Taiwan (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, C.-H., Liu, J.-C., Cheng, M.-H.: Energy Analysis of Multimedia Video Decoding on Embedded Systems. In: The International Conference on Information Networking 2008 (ICOIN 2008), Paradise Hotel, Busan, Korea (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Lin, C.-H., Shih, C.-S., Liu, J.-C., Cheng, M.-H., Lee, Y.-W.: Energy Efficiency Measurement for Multimedia Audio Decoding on Embedded Systems. In: The Second International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication (ACM ICUIMC 2008), Suwon, Korea (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.MPEG Industry Forum, http://www.m4if.org
- 7.Overview of the MPEG-4 Standard, http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg
- 8.Applications and Requirements for Scalable Video Coding, MPEG-document ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N5540 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ashmawi, W., Guerin, R., Wolf, S., Pinson, M.: On the impact of policing and rate guarantees in DiffServ networks: A video streaming application perspective. In: Proceedings of the 2001 conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communications, California, United States, pp. 83–95 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.TCPMP: http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/
- 12.Potlapally, N.R., Ravi, R.S.A., Jha, N.K.: Analyzing the energy consumption of security protocols. In: Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design, Seoul, Korea, pp. 30–35 (2003)Google Scholar